E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rain Sensing Problem Revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 03 E500
Rain Sensing Problem Revisited

Has anyone had a recent problem with the rain sensing wipers in their 211? I just drove in pouring rain, and position one, and my windshield was so wet I couldn't see. I turned to position 2 and the wipers swiped so fast, they started dragging on the windshield. Is there no way to adjust, or does this sound like the sensor is defective? I called my service writer and he said they couldn't be adjusted. Any ideas, please? The way the intermittant mode is working is absolutely worthless. I thought maybe there was some sort of fix since 03.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
After a quick look I did not find any tuning options. It is possible to activate lower speed at standstill and wipers off when door open but these would not be what you are after.

But I have not experienced similar issues on a W211. I'm not driving at heavy rain, but if the position 2 is too quick (I assume you are talking about the next position after intermittent), then it should not be really heavy rain.

The main issue I've seen is dirty windshield or wipers in which case wipers tend to operate more than necessary, in auto mode.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:21 PM

03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
i've heard of and expirenced just the opposite, mine is very sensitive and will occasionally "swipe" if dust builds up on the windshield. If you have not already, make sure that area where the sensors are is clean and no film of dirt is present
Old 12-20-2007, 07:00 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Last week in NY we had a really funny kind of rain. It was a cross between misty (Irish) rain, sleet and hail. I had my wipers on intermittent and they just were not working with rain at all. I was more curious to see just how long it would not wipe for. But in the end I had to manual swipe the wipers every so often, as it just became too dangerous.

The main difference was that odd rain, was not running down the glass. It was just sort of misting up, and maybe sticking to the glass due to the cold. I guess the sensors are not designed for that.

When it's normal water rain, the intermittent is fine for me.