Considering Bilstein Shocks-'05 E320 CD: 2 Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Considering Bilstein Shocks-'05 E320 CD: 2 Questions

Hi all.

My '05 E320 CDI is too floaty on undulating back roads, and clearly needs more damping than M-B endowed it with.

I've had great luck in the past ('98 4Runner) replacing OE shocks with Bilsteins - Hugely improved valving, modest increase in ride firmness.

Two questions:

(1) Which to buy: The "Heavy Duty" shocks. or the standards? (This car will never see a racetrack; Will the Standards be enough?)

(2) How much of an installation job am I looking at (DIY)? I'm a fairly accomplished hack mechanic with a good assortment of tools.

Please, if you don't have personal experience with Bilsteins, withhold replies.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 GLK 250 BT
Ditto, on the soft boaty feel on the W211 CDI. Bummer that MB thinks that CDI owner don't want a sporty feel. My prior car was a Z3 so my 2005 CDI definitely needed a firmer setup. I've installed Bilstein PSS9 coilovers from GMP. Motivated that this setup would exceed the AMG setup. Interesting to note, Bilstein tech shared abit about the 1-9 settings relative to stock, comfort and sport setups. PSS9 at the softest setting #9, is 5-10% firmer than stock which is the same as Bilstien Comfort shocks. Bilstein Sport shocks are equivalent to the middle setting #5. And of course, having the ability to adjust/lower height is definitely an additional value.

As for installation, it ain't for the weak at heart. This was definitely a challenge for me, esp. swapping in the front struts. I'm quite an accomplished DIY, performing suspension mods on BMWs (E30 & E36). But this W211 suspension is a pain, in 2 aspects. First the OEM springs are very tall/long. Spring compressor is definitely required and alot of patience to decompress both front & rear springs. Secondly, the static position of the suspension makes it very difficult to remove the springs/struts. Meaning the static position is doesn't drop down with strut/shock loose. It hangs at mid-point and must be forced/push downward to remove/clear the strut/shock out of the mount. I had to use a heavy 5' pipe to lean my weight on the hub, downward to leverage out the strut/shock/springs.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:02 PM

makes your daughter horny
Getting the front strut off is somewhat difficult. I recommend having a (heavy) buddy jump up and down on the front hub while you push down on the hub using your chest while simultaneously pulling back on the strut. Make sure you loosen the top 3 bolts slightly to allow the strut to move around freely. Turning the wheel to the side slightly helps A LOT here.

Does anyone know how much these shocks run and where to get them on the cheap? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:29 PM

2015 GLK 250 BT
Well the price I paid for the Bilstein PSS9 setup was $1699 from GMP, http://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm. I went with these coilovers cause I wanted to lower it abit, ~1" and no more. The other aftermarket springs may lower by 1.5" or more.