E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

03 E500 Sport Performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500 Sport, 03 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 06 Pro Street Chopper
What about the Sprint-Booster. Is this the only company producing this type of product. I couldn't find pricing on the site I went to. Can someone guide me in that direction? And is this upgrade worth it's cost?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Sorry for the late replies guys but let me chime in here.

Where do I start?

Well, MB has done a very good job of squeezing every last drop of HP and torque out of the E500 engine. I have one of the very few ECU tuned E500's on this board, and there isn't a huge difference in power. The car does wake up and feels as if there's a bit more torque, but it's not a huge difference. If you have a spare 700.00 laying around, sure do it. I just happen to be addicted to modding. If you're looking for noticeable gains out of your E500 for minimum dollars, it isn't gonna happen.

I went with the E55 AMG OEM exhaust on my car as well. I did this for a few reasons. I originally put Magnaflow's on it and kept the tips hidden behind the rear skirt, just like stock. However, I found that there was a droning noise between 1500-2000 RPMs. And that, unfortunately, is where the E500's engine likes to hang out most of the time. There is no way in hell that I would have my exhaust stick out from underneath the rear bumper like many people do. Just looks horrible in my opinion. So that left me with a few alternatives. I could purchase an E55 bumper/E55 exhaust. Or I could just purchase the E55 exhaust and cut the rear bumper. I did the latter. Here's how it turned out:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/211660-e55-amg-exhaust-e500-pics.html

I was very happy with the results so I opted to keep it instead of purchasing an E55 bumper.

Now, as for the ECU tuning companies. Mine was done by Adam at EuroElites (EVOTECH). The process couldn't have been easier. Simply take out your ECU and ship it to them. They flash it, and overnight it back. 3 days turn around. But, since that was done a couple of months ago, EuroElites has closed up shop. That did not sit well with me. I haven't had any problems but if I do, I'm screwed. I would stay away from tuning companies that you've never heard of before, like UPSOLUTE. If I were to do it all over again, I would go with Powerchips. Kleeman and RENNtech are just too expensive for the minimal gains. Adam quoted me 25hp/25tq at the wheels, if I remember correctly. After researching more, most ECU tunes will result in about 15hp/15tq at the wheels. I haven't dynoed the car yet but will do so in the near future.

I'm sorry to say, that's there's just not much you can do with these naturally aspirated cars. If you're looking into significant horsepower gains, you're best bet is to introduce forced induction. I believe HPS has a supercharger kit for our cars. I wanna say it's about $7000.00

As for the sprintbooster, I can speak to this as well. I tried one and loved it....for about 3 months. It doesn't add any horsepower or torque at all but rather it changes the sensitivity of the throttle input signal. There is a noticeable lag in our cars when we hit the throttle. This little thingamajig eliminates that. But it makes the throttle a little difficult to modulate in traffic. I have a feeling that your wife won't enjoy it, mine didn't. She found herself during burnouts from the stop signs in our neighborhood. It takes a couple of days to get used to it but it's not all that hard....for a man

Hope this helps.....

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 02-15-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
Is this funny because it's below you or ?
No DUDE, lol! We were talking about options for upgrades and you threw in buying a completely different car, lol. I just thought it was funny. It sounded like, "you can fix up your car or better yet, just buy an E55!" No offense man I thought you were making a joke. All I buy is used or "pre-owned" and nothing is below me brotha! Later...
Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

na
Originally Posted by captrivers
REMUS, on your w-site. Which sound clip will be closest to model E500 with the 5.0?
ML500 has the 5.0L, CL500 has the 5.5L.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:56 PM

jimmy, I think he was talking about a used E55 exhaust.

B-rama, I realized this is isn't gonna be cheap. Nothing good in life ever is.lol When I tackle a project I do as much research as possible.

Minus a supercharger. I'm fine with the small gains I will receive from tweaking everything else. My route is gonna be mufflers(for the sound and tips), ECU tune(remove speed limiter and small HP gain), sprintbooster, air-intake(let her breathe a little better). These mods are being done for self-gratification. My wife thinks I'm silly for doing this saying this is supposed to be a family car. She too, within 3000 miles on the Compressor burned the back wheels off. She'll get used to it or I'll buy the Porshce now instead of waiting til my son is a teenager.lol

Your car looks good with that exhaust. I prefer the look of the single oval pipe. REMUS has what I'm looking for. The only draw-back with theirs is they hang below the valence. Like you, I don't like the look of that. I've also found Super Sprint exhaust. I like the look of their oval tips but, haven't found any pics installed or sound clips.

I'm on my com at work which is dial-up. Yes, they still have dial-up. I wasn't able to see the pics of your car. Can you email them: captrivers@hotmail.com

Last edited by captrivers; 02-15-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:32 PM

As for the sprintbooster, I can speak to this as well. I tried one and loved it....for about 3 months.
What do you mean by this?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Originally Posted by jimmydagreek
No DUDE, lol!
We both misunderstood, ha! Wasn't making a joke, was serious, you can get a used E55 exhaust... Benz O Rama did, they show up in the classifieds once in a while. I considered it as well. That's a real exhaust option!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What do you mean by this?

Taken from my last post....

As for the sprintbooster, I can speak to this as well. I tried one and loved it....for about 3 months. It doesn't add any horsepower or torque at all but rather it changes the sensitivity of the throttle input signal. There is a noticeable lag in our cars when we hit the throttle. This little thingamajig eliminates that. But it makes the throttle a little difficult to modulate in traffic. I have a feeling that your wife won't enjoy it, mine didn't. She found herself during burnouts from the stop signs in our neighborhood. It takes a couple of days to get used to it but it's not all that hard....for a man
Old 02-16-2008, 10:48 AM

I tried one and loved it....for about 3 months.
Why only 3 months?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:06 PM

911's and beyond
Why only 3 months?
basically what happens is with "sprint Booster" it removes lag and makes your car jump from a dig. BUTTTT.. it also makes it jumpy because its so sensitive some people like it but others find it hard to go thru normal driving or stop/Go traffic. for 250.00 it isnt worth it (does not offer HP gains only Evil Grins and bald tires).

I personally used superchips my cost was 500.00 they claim 27hp/29tq, I cant say i feel all the power claimed but def feel the diff., I removed the limiter and yes as you said all this ECU tune does is send more fuel and change timing to increase HP in higher RPMs. the best run I got so far is
13.88 @ 102 which is decent compared to my cousins stock 545i 13.5@104ish.

My mods to date: modified airbox (FREE)
-Cut open the little plastic doors/covers for the air tubes.
*Increases air flow
-upgraded the drivers side air tube to s500 (15.00 @ dealer)
*its a fuller more round tube that allows more air flow to the filters
- added 2 KN filters ($50x2)
*no Gains that i feel but just habit on all my cars
(will upgrade to Green filters later)
-added ThermoTek heatshield
*applied to the bottom of the airbox to block engine heat from the airbox
to keep the cool air Cold in the airbox lol..
simple concept I cant say ive seen a gain.
-Magnflow Cat Back with X-pipe and Quad tips ($650)
*Xpipe claims 10hp ( I noticed a gain up top after 3k RPM)
-SuperChip ECU ($500)
*Better Throttle response
*improved MPG
*No governor now i can hit 160 (got a vid lol..)
*Quicker in every gear
*SMOOOOOOOOTHER shifting and power across the band. It Just Goes..!
Def Recommend this Upgrade, I told the Tech all of my mods and
he "Custom tuned" for my car.
Hope this helps. goodluck modding.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:42 PM

This is the reply I was hoping to get.
I am planning to make a track day before I start the process. I want to see the numbers at the end of the 1/4.

Here's what I've got planned so far.
-ECU tune - hadn't decided who to use yet.
-REMUS - oval tip mufflers
-Debating on Green filters only or the carbon fibrer RENNTech air box.

When I seen my tax return "Supercharger" came to mind. But, my wife slapped me back to reality.

Could you give details on:
-Cut open the little plastic doors/covers for the air tubes.
*Increases air flow
-upgraded the drivers side air tube to s500 (15.00 @ dealer)
*its a fuller more round tube that allows more air flow to the filters
*Xpipe claims 10hp ( I noticed a gain up top after 3k RPM)
-SuperChip ECU ($500)
Where can I get info on this?
-added ThermoTek heatshield
*applied to the bottom of the airbox to block engine heat from the airbox
to keep the cool air Cold in the airbox lol..
simple concept I cant say ive seen a gain.
This is logical. But how much was the heatsheild and where'd you get it from?

Last edited by captrivers; 02-16-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:11 PM

I see where there's been some major discussions here and at Benzworld on the Sprint Booster. From what I've read, I'd like to try one. But, I cannot find where to purchase. Does anyone have a link?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is one from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sprin...spagenameZWD1V

I had one on my previous E55 (the one in my sig) and I loved it. I liked the sensetive pedal and the immediate response!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:53 AM

911's and beyond
This is the reply I was hoping to get.
I am planning to make a track day before I start the process. I want to see the numbers at the end of the 1/4.

Here's what I've got planned so far.
-ECU tune - hadn't decided who to use yet.
-REMUS - oval tip mufflers
-Debating on Green filters only or the carbon fibrer RENNTech air box.

When I seen my tax return "Supercharger" came to mind. But, my wife slapped me back to reality.

Could you give details on:

Where can I get info on this?

This is logical. But how much was the heatsheild and where'd you get it from?
1st off, if you open your hood you will see the 2 ports left and right which direct air to the air tubes which goes to the airbox.
those little plastic pieces restrict lots of potential air so I took a blade and cut them off and made the port larger for more airflow.
2nd the driver side airtube, if you look at the tube it is round but in the front it is mishaped to go around the power steering resevoir and something else so there is a tiny restriction there. if you buyan s500 airtube (12.00) it is Fully round and will attach with no prob. also increasing more air to the filters.

(if you do this and do the thermotek you will not need the renntech CFbox thats where i figured this will work and actually give me some gains) the CF keep air cooler so does the heatshield upto 3000 degrees.

the x-pipe is part of the exhasut system, the muffler guy builds them custom its where the dual piping from the headers meet then dual out to the reso. then to the mufflers. apx cost 100-150.00 total.

the thermotek is on ebay 24x24 for 40.00 and you just cut and form it it has adhesive backing which makes life easier. as an option you can also wrap your tubes with the thermotek wrap w/o adhesive.

Last edited by Abboushi; 02-17-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've given this some thought and I think I've come up with the best solution.

1. Loosen rear license plate. Front one too, if so equipped.
2. Pull plates out about 6 inches
3. Replace E500 with E55 or E63
4. Tighten license plates.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:25 AM

Funny B-rama. If I were to get an AMG, I like the SL's. This E is a FAMILY car and I like the sleeper factor. In no way am I trying to make it an AMG. It's just a lil something to hold me over for a few years.

jimmy, I searched Ebay. I don't know what I did wrong but, nothing came up. I'm gonna go head and get one. I hope that's the market pricing for these things.

Abb, thanks for the detailed info.
I've been subscribed to forums since 1996. Started with HP outbard powered Boats. Then Custom Choppers which I'm still building. And now for my Mercedes. In every one, I've gotten and was able to supply priceless information to other users.
Opening them ports and the thermotek makes plenty of sense. Is there a specific year s500 tube I need to get? Also I think I've seen cross-pipes for sale, is this the same thing as the X-pipe you're talking about. It will probably be cheaper to have the shop make it. When I do the X-pipe and mufflers, should I have the reso removed. And what effect does this have on the cars computer management.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Funny B-rama. If I were to get an AMG, I like the SL's. This E is a FAMILY car and I like the sleeper factor. In no way am I trying to make it an AMG. It's just a lil something to hold me over for a few years.

jimmy, I searched Ebay. I don't know what I did wrong but, nothing came up. I'm gonna go head and get one. I hope that's the market pricing for these things.

I've been subscribed to forums since 1996. Started with HP outbard powered Boats. Then Custom Choppers which I'm still building. And now for my Mercedes. In every one, I've gotten and was able to supply priceless information to other users.
Opening them ports and the thermotek makes plenty of sense. Is there a specific year s500 tube I need to get? Also I think I've seen cross-pipes for sale, is this the same thing as the X-pipe you're talking about. It will probably be cheaper to have the shop make it. When I do the X-pipe and mufflers, should I have the reso removed. And what effect does this have on the cars computer management.
Click on the link I provided above or search: "Mercedes sprint booster"...
Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 PM

jimmy, someone picked it up before I could get to it. Will an AMG SB work on my car?

Last edited by captrivers; 02-17-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

jimmy, someone picked it up before I could get to it. Will an AMG SB work on my car?
It will work but not properly. The AMG versions are tuned for the AMG's so don't get it. I don't know where you're looking but here is another one if it's not the same one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sprin...spagenameZWD1V
Old 02-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Yes, I see that one.
Thanks.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 PM

Looking back at my exhaust posts. Why no mention of Brabus?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

na
We actually manufacture Brabus exhausts, the differences are in the tip styles and sometimes the sound can slightly vary.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 AM

911's and beyond

honestly I dont know if the cross pipes are the same as X-pipe it may be the same. I left my reso. in because i didnt need all the droning but it opens up on the freeway. the s500 2000-2006. the reso. removal wont activate an error code of any sort. the computers in the E is an adaptive ECU any changes in driving style or anything it will adapt i.e, aggressive or consevative. As a new 500 driver you should reset your tranny ecu. quick steps..
1.turn the car off then 3 clicks over (acc/aux) the click before ignition..
2.Hold the Gas Pedal for 10 seconds all the way to the floor (inluding the downshift button).
3.turn the car off but leave the key in the ignition wait 2-5min to set in.
4. take it for a drive and See if your beast hasnt been Awakened..

as far as brabus exhaust is concerned, The members that bought them for $$$ were not to impressed with them very conservative in HP and sound. My personal expierence is never buy Aftermarket exhaust just Build it for 1/2..

Last edited by Abboushi; 02-18-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 PM

Abb, I looked at the tubes. That door you're talking about cutting off I think I'm gonna leave. It looks like that deflects large bebris(bugs, sticks, leaves, etc.) I don't think the gain from this is worth the trash that could possibly enter there. Or cut off the flap and install a piece of filter? That's something to consider. I will get the s500 tube though. 12bux, hell I'll just make sandwiches for lunch one day. I ordered a sprintbooster but, couldn't find the thermotek. If you run across a piece let me know. That was definitely a good idea. I also ordered a set of Green Filters.

With eliminating the airbox, I may have more money to spend on the exhaust. It's down to Remus, Brabus or SuperSprint. Who's recommended from these choices?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:31 PM

911's and beyond
Abb, I looked at the tubes. That door you're talking about cutting off I think I'm gonna leave. It looks like that deflects large bebris(bugs, sticks, leaves, etc.) I don't think the gain from this is worth the trash that could possibly enter there. Or cut off the flap and install a piece of filter? That's something to consider. I will get the s500 tube though. 12bux, hell I'll just make sandwiches for lunch one day. I ordered a sprintbooster but, couldn't find the thermotec. If you run across a piece let me know. That was definitely a good idea. I also ordered a set of Green Filters.

With eliminating the airbox, I may have more money to spend on the exhaust. It's down to Remus, Brabus or SuperSprint. Who's recommended from these choices?
I thought about that also.. Now look at the CLK,CL,S and SL they are all removed and wide open I have had mine open for apx 8mos I never had any issues and i drive avg 150-180miles a day i got 145k on the odo. lol.. I murder millions of bugs and run into the most stuff ever but never had anything lodged in the tubes, i clean out the tubes when i clean my KNs the most i found was small dried leaves but its your discretion but ask why do the other models not have this door or restriction?

thermotec ebay id # 130198707686 copy and paste it same stuff i used but i bought the larger size.

Good choice on the greens Ive heard more gains with the greens then KN and if you want more sound go SS otherwise go Remus.

Last edited by Abboushi; 02-18-2008 at 12:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 03 E500 Sport Performance upgrades