E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Out of warranty & pre-existing issue...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
911~E500~E55~Denali
Out of warranty & pre-existing issue...

Greetings all, I don't post often, but I lurk all of the time.

Here is my dilema:

Just under 1 year ago, at around 40K, my wife's 04 E500 4M developed a shudder from the rear while turning in both reverse and going forward. This happened while in FL on vacation and the transfer case was replaced under warranty by Mercedes of Tampa.

Yesterday, this problem resurfaced and we made an appointment at the dealer in Schererville, IN (we live in MI but my wife drives to various locations for work).

She took the car in (55K on the odo now and obviously out of warranty) and the service advisor told her point blank that since the warranty is up, we will be paying for any parts/labor incurred by this recurrence.

This seems to rub me the wrong way...this is clearly a pre-exsiting issue that was 'repaired' under warranty less than 1 year and 15K miles ago...do I have a leg to stand on when it comes to getting MB to cover this?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,434 Likes on 3,151 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by jstgermaine
the service advisor told her point blank that since the warranty is up, we will be paying for any parts/labor incurred by this recurrence.
MB of North America warrants to the original purchaser and each subsequent owner of genuine MB service replacement parts, equipment, or factory approved accessories installed on passenger cars which are operated in USA or Canada under normal use and service to be free from defects in material and workmanship for 12 months, unlimited mileage without charge to you.

The dealership invoice documenting the previous warranty repair less than 12 months before entitles you to free repair even though your vehicle is out of warranty. Speak with the Service Manager. If the dealership continues to be uncooperative, contact MBUSA 800-367-6372.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
911~E500~E55~Denali
YOU ARE THE MAN!!! I just checked the previous repair on this part and we are three weeks inside the window!

Thank you!!