E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

best way to install xm? help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 sport
Red face best way to install xm? help!

hey guys im going to get a xm unit for the benz and was wondering what is the best way to hook it up? my car is an 03 e500 so no auxilary input and i dont have command. the guys at bestbuy and circut city said i need the xm shure connect and a few antenna adapters.from what i have read on here the antenna is in the trunk on the drivers side so i guess ill have to remove the trunk lineing to get to it but what about the wires needed to go to the front of the car?. tell me what i need to make it work and sound good. help me out guys. thanks.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Which XM radio are you going to get? I have a Roady that sits in my ashtray. The antenna is on the shelf in the back window and the power comes from the cigarette lighter in the back of the console. The Roady has a built in FM modulator which broadcasts to the radio. I only have to change the broadcast channel on longer trips. I'm on a trip now from Orlando to the North Georgia mountains and I only had to change the FM broadcast station once.

Search the forums for XM and you will find all sorts of installations.

Good Luck. Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 sport
im looking at the xm express r. that unit dont say it has an fm modulator and that i would need a wired one. does the roady have one built in?. i wanted to get a little higher end unit. ill be puting it in the ashtray.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 E500
Buy a radio with an FM modulator. BestBuy or Circuit City can install the radio cradle, hard-wire the power, run the external antenna and FM mod.....

I got mine installed for less that a hunert...
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 PM
GGM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by shaunls1
im looking at the xm express r. that unit dont say it has an fm modulator and that i would need a wired one. does the roady have one built in?. i wanted to get a little higher end unit. ill be puting it in the ashtray.
The Roady is an older model that I don't think is available anymore, but yes, it has the modulator built in. Another option would be to use the AUX in jack to play the XM. I don't have that option since I have the iPod kit and it disables the AUX in jack.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:05 PM
GGM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by Taylor-Made'90
Buy a radio with an FM modulator. BestBuy or Circuit City can install the radio cradle, hard-wire the power, run the external antenna and FM mod.....

I got mine installed for less that a hunert...
I installed mine myself for free. I installed it in the previous C240 and easily uninstalled it and reinstalled it in the new E350.