E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Weird noise in the trunk on a non-airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic
Weird noise in the trunk on a non-airmatic

I have a 2008 E350 4Matic Sport. Every time I go over very subtle bumps at low speed, I hear something like a ball bouncing up and down in the right side of rear suspension or perhaps in the trunk. I've done some research and this seems to be a common problem for airmatic suspension owners, but none on non-airmatic suspension Es. Anyone experiencing the same?

It doesn't make any noise when I go a little faster, but every time I go over very subtle bumps like uneven concrete joints in garages at low speed (less than 5mph) I hear bouncing noise.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:15 PM

E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by jaewchoi
I have a 2008 E350 4Matic Sport. Every time I go over very subtle bumps at low speed, I hear something like a ball bouncing up and down in the right side of rear suspension or perhaps in the trunk. I've done some research and this seems to be a common problem for airmatic suspension owners, but none on non-airmatic suspension Es. Anyone experiencing the same?

It doesn't make any noise when I go a little faster, but every time I go over very subtle bumps like uneven concrete joints in garages at low speed (less than 5mph) I hear bouncing noise.

Anyone? Please?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
http://www.trunkmonkey.com/content/category/4/68/59/

He is only there to help....
Old 12-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E350W4
Originally Posted by jaewchoi
Anyone? Please?
I too was having the “strange noise in the back of the car” issue and it was getting more pronounced lately. I only have 6700 miles on the car and I didn’t think it should be making those noises yet. I did a search in the forums (thank you all for the amazing wealth of info) and after reading this info

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-rattling.html

I printed it out and gave it to my SA when I brought the car in last Monday (yep, 12/15). Of course, when he called me a couple of hours later he said that the bulletin did not apply to my car (figures). I told him that he could keep the car all week and just make sure to give it back on Friday fixed. He called me Thursday saying that they found the noise and it was not in the back as I stated but in the front left side… the strut was cracked (what the heck???)…. “No worries it is covered, I will have the car ready this afternoon”. Ok.. I was feeling better now. They were fixing the car and it was not costing me a dime.

He did call later that day but only to tell me that even though they put a new strut, the noise was still there. They need to keep it longer (porca miseria, son of a mother…I was a bit PO’d as you can imagine).

To make a long story longer, he calls me today to tell me that looks like my car is not the only one with that problem (you think?) and that MB is aware and there is a new and improved strut (see link above, again) but, it is backordered for at least 3 weeks…. Gesu, Giuseppe e Maria… but, we left the new “old” strut and you can come and get the car. I’ll call you when the part is in so that you can bring the car back. BTW… do you have the Tire and Wheel Insurance?” At this point I have a blank look on my face and I think I stumbled a…. yeahhhhhhh….WHHHHYYY?.... all of your Rims are BENT (!!!!)…Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to me. Again, WTFreak? How can this be possible? All FOUR? Stupid potholes in Brooklyn/NYC.

You guys can’t believe how thankful I am now to have that tire and wheel insurance… I thought the salesman just took me for a fool when I bought it. Thank GOD I did.

All in all, the SA was great throughout this ordeal and definitely kept me up to speed with everything that was being done on the car. I am very pleased with his service and I would definitely recommend him.

So, all of you folks with noisy suspension… call your SA and make an appointment to change your strut…you just may have to wait until the New Year…

Happy Holidays to you all and your families.

Last edited by SGEM; 12-23-2008 at 10:33 PM.