Help! Installed Rear lip....have a gap!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 AMG SPORT, 2002 ML320 LOADED
Help! Installed Rear lip....have a gap!

Hi !

Well I received my E63 style rear lip spoiler and wasted no time last night installing it on my E500 AMG pkg to complete the look. I taped it down last night as is suggested (It is held by a thin foam double sided tape). This morning I noticed (much to my chagrin) that I must not have pushed it in all the way on the right rear (it is about 1/8") from being pushed against the vertical protion of the trunk. I know maybe I'm being a bit picky, but there is a slight shadow noticeable..... Any suggestions on how to unstick/restick? Or use the thinner tape? Or even what tape to use....I know some have used the glue here. Please let me know what you have done?

Thanks in advance!

KEELBOAT
Old 05-01-2008, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
If it bothers you, you will have to remove it, buy more tape at the auto body store & reinstall it.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:21 PM

2012 E63 AMG Wagon
just curious, where did you get the piece? was it pre painted?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:46 PM

2005 E500 AMG SPORT, 2002 ML320 LOADED
How to remove?

I think the install may be part to blame for the gap, but certainly the (about 1 millimeter thick) foam tape contributed. Anyone have experience removing this stuff? Should I just try to run some dental floss between the lip and the trunk (hugging the trunk as I go from side to side)? Is there an effective release agent anyone is aware of? Will Heat work? Hi RonB the spoiler was indeed pre-painted, and looks good, my E500 AMG Sports Package is black. I purchased it from Jerry at "ForMyMercedes". Have been VERY pleased with his service after and during the sale... I am considering re applying it with a very thin 3M tape, or having it professionally applied with glue or the thin tape... Any suggestions? Anyone?

KEELBOAT
Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
You can try a product called Goof-Off or Goo-be-gone. It's an adhesive remover and works well.

Originally Posted by KEELBOAT
I think the install may be part to blame for the gap, but certainly the (about 1 millimeter thick) foam tape contributed. Anyone have experience removing this stuff? Should I just try to run some dental floss between the lip and the trunk (hugging the trunk as I go from side to side)? Is there an effective release agent anyone is aware of? Will Heat work? Hi RonB the spoiler was indeed pre-painted, and looks good, my E500 AMG Sports Package is black. I purchased it from Jerry at "ForMyMercedes". Have been VERY pleased with his service after and during the sale... I am considering re applying it with a very thin 3M tape, or having it professionally applied with glue or the thin tape... Any suggestions? Anyone?

KEELBOAT