E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

"Check Engine" story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
"Check Engine" story

Yesterday, the "check engine" warning came on when I started up in the morning. (08 E550). The car had its first service last week, so needless to say I was agitated. Looked at the prior posts here and checked the gas cap, which looked fine. Tank was 1/2 empty, so I went out a filled it and of course screwed in the cap properly. Then I checked the oil and also made sure the oil filler cap was on tight. All looked fine, but the light stayed on, so I was resigned to getting an appointment with the dealer. Until this morning, when the warning went out and I had an uneventful 25 mile commute. Was this just a little gremlin that I fixed by doing nothing? Or do I have magic hands? Or what?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I vote for magic hands.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:08 AM
kip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by weinschela
Yesterday, the "check engine" warning came on when I started up in the morning. (08 E550). The car had its first service last week, so needless to say I was agitated. Looked at the prior posts here and checked the gas cap, which looked fine. Tank was 1/2 empty, so I went out a filled it and of course screwed in the cap properly. Then I checked the oil and also made sure the oil filler cap was on tight. All looked fine, but the light stayed on, so I was resigned to getting an appointment with the dealer. Until this morning, when the warning went out and I had an uneventful 25 mile commute. Was this just a little gremlin that I fixed by doing nothing? Or do I have magic hands? Or what?
Sometimes these are gas cap related, did you add fuel recently? SOrry to say but these check engine lights are sometimes annoyingly difficult to locate, because they just say that the exhaust fumes are not ok and reasons can be numerous, MAF's etc and your problem might return.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: Check Engine

If you started/turned off the car and the check engine light stayed on, the computer has stored a code to tell the tech what was amiss. However, if it stays off and the car runs o.k. it was probably a fluke such as a loose gas cap, etc.

If it were mine, given that it was just serviced, I would call the dealer and ask them to check the code while you wait to be sure all is well to be sure they did not make a boo boo of some kind. At least you will have piece of mind.