E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Steering and cabin vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Macan, 2018 Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid, 2024 G63
Steering and cabin vibration

First of all, I have searched all different mb forums to look for answers, there are threads with cabin and steering vibration, but this is strange.

here I go - I started experiencing this since last couple of months, As I get close to 20 mph the car starts to vibrate in a manner like its going on a rough road. Its really bad on the steering, but can be felt by anyone sitting in the car. Vibration starts as I cross 15-18 mph and gets worse around 20 mph and then gradually goes away at 23-25 mph.

And, I can only feel the vibration when my foot is off the gas padded and the speed is between 15 - 25 mph.

I am planning to take the car in for inspection, but wanted to get a feel of the problem so that I don't get carried away by dealers

Does anyone have a clue or have had similar problem?
Old 05-15-2008, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by mspaul
First of all, I have searched all different mb forums to look for answers, there are threads with cabin and steering vibration, but this is strange.

here I go - I started experiencing this since last couple of months, As I get close to 20 mph the car starts to vibrate in a manner like its going on a rough road. Its really bad on the steering, but can be felt by anyone sitting in the car. Vibration starts as I cross 15-18 mph and gets worse around 20 mph and then gradually goes away at 23-25 mph.

And, I can only feel the vibration when my foot is off the gas padded and the speed is between 15 - 25 mph.

I am planning to take the car in for inspection, but wanted to get a feel of the problem so that I don't get carried away by dealers

Does anyone have a clue or have had similar problem?
Might be an imbalanced drive shaft...try cruising at the speed that you feel the vibration on a 0 grade road and put the car in neutral as you coast...if the vibration goes away thats ur problem.

could also be an imbalanced or bent wheel...i bent a rim this winter and it only vibrated between 55 and 79...after that it went away...speed and rim rotation has something to do with correcting it...

by the way, it's more likely that your dealer isn't going to "carry you away"...chances are that you are still covered under warranty which means you wont have to pay in any event...second option is that you have to approve all work to be done on your car before they begin...so either way, you are in control of yourself being "carried away"

Last edited by AMGTTV8; 05-15-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
how will putting the vehicle in neutral show an imbalanced drive shaft? The driveshaft is still spinning.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by WWMIndy
Might be an imbalanced drive shaft...try cruising at the speed that you feel the vibration on a 0 grade road and put the car in neutral as you coast...if the vibration goes away thats ur problem.

could also be an imbalanced or bent wheel...i bent a rim this winter and it only vibrated between 55 and 79...after that it went away...speed and rim rotation has something to do with correcting it...

by the way, it's more likely that your dealer isn't going to "carry you away"...chances are that you are still covered under warranty which means you wont have to pay in any event...second option is that you have to approve all work to be done on your car before they begin...so either way, you are in control of yourself being "carried away"
Thanks for the tip WWMIndy!
I tried coasting putting the car in neutral, and was still able to feel the vibration.
I can't think of a reason why I would have a bent wheel; Imbalanced - may be.
Off to dealer again...
Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by mspaul
Mention S-B-46.00/49a MAR08 – SDS diagnostic tree listing steering system conditions and appropriate remedies.

Service Campaign 2006040004 JUL06 (covered out of warranty at no cost) dealer will clean sleeves on front axle carrier and install new bolts and washers; 211.065 – e320 VIN range A014562 – A600000, X097696 – X116123. If your VIN is not in this range, have the dealer check VMI.

DTB P-B-33.15/16a JAN06 although this bulletin is titled “Steering wheel twitch during brake application” the original hydro-mount or partially hollow rubber style torque strut bushings have been known to cause the vibration you describe and will be replaced with solid rubber bushings providing increased resilience towards deforming. This should be covered if your have an extended warranty or the vehicle was purchased pre-owned CPO. If not, request a goodwill repair from both dealer and MBUSA since the original bushings are known to fail.

In addition, consider “road force balance” for each wheel/tire most if not all MB dealerships have this equipment. How the balancing works and confirmation that the dealership has the system (locate a GSP9700): http://gsp9700.com
Old 05-16-2008, 07:44 PM

Thanks konigstiger. Thats good info.

I do have extended warranty, but its a Toyota Platinum warranty. Hope this would cover the repair.

Goodwill repair - I personally have never had luck with this, but will give it a try if warranty does not cover.