E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Trunk Open Warning - although it's closed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trunk Open Warning - although it's closed...

First off; just wanted to thank everyone for the great input on this board. I'm not a regular reader; but thanks to the other posts on this board I've successfully did a brake job (all 4 rotors/pads/sensors) and replaced the driver's side door actuator on my wife's 03 e320. Both jobs were relatively easy, although when replacing the brake pads; I've found out the hard way that after-market pads are noisy (squeal); so I splurged and bought them directly from the dealer, in any case I saved hundreds but just wanted to share that piece of information with everyone.

In any case; the purpose of this post is to try to debug a situation I'm having with the e320. We've been having the "trunk open" warning display on the LCD on the dash randomly while driving. The trunk is securely closed. This happens randomly, but seems to be more prevalent when accelerating from a stop, hitting a bump while driving, or turning.

Any ideas? I suspect it's a sensor and or issue with the latch (perhaps it's not closing tightly enough) or a gap issue.

Thanks in advance,

Richie
Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 AM

2003 E500
Trunk open light on when not

I am having the same problem with my 03 E500. It just began this evening. Did you ever resolve your problem? If so what was it.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I see riglar posted his first and only question almost a year after joining the forum and now more than a year after his question there has been no reply. A pity really, looks like he left the forum because nobody cared to pay attention. Forum members should really dare to bump a question after a few days (not necessary with angry words just after five minutes from the first post with no answer, that seems more frequent that a humble bump).

You could try to send him email via the forum, if he has allowed that feature.

But what else could it be than the trunk lid contact switch at the trunk lid lock?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY2004 E320
Smile

The electric harness for trunk light also triggers the red warning in the dash LCD.

the harness is behind the trunk arm behind the side panels in trunk. Chck to see if its loose. An open trunk (tunk light on) disconnects the harness's closed circuit.

So if the harness is unplugged or disconnected, the light and warning wil come on.

I would check for this harness to see if its lose or not completely on.

to understand this better, open the trunk and slowly bring the door down to a close. at 30-degrees angle, the interior trunk light goes off! that the switch I am talking about.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:32 PM

2003 E500
Thanks for the responses. Took the car to the dealer and they replaced trunk latch and corrected the problem.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 MB E-500 & 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
I got the opposite problem, I tried driving with my trunk open and I never had this warning. Can someone post an instruction on how to enable this on SDS so I can give it to my indy mech.