E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 e320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320

could someone please tell me the correct procedure to change the oil and filter on the car and where to buy the parts; how to change the trany fluid and filter?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ANDOLINI
could someone please tell me the correct procedure to change the oil and filter on the car and where to buy the parts; how to change the trany fluid and filter?
You might be better off finding a non-MB dealer service center. Ask around other MB owners who they send their car to for service. I found a good MB shop that is almost half the price of the dealer.

You will also need a reset tool to "tell" the car it has been serviced.

Just a thought.

-David
Old 06-30-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
The oil and filter is very conventional. The sump holds 8-1/2 quarts so get a big catch pan. You need a new copper crush washer to insure that the plug does not leak. Here is my advice.
1. Either take the plastic aero tray (2 pieces) off the underbody (6 screws?) and gain access to the ENGINE sump not the tranny drain). Open the plug and drain the sump OR use an oil vacuum from a marine supply store.
2. Get a fitted oil filter wrench (M-B takes an "odd" wrench. you can get them on e- bay or use a strap wrench). Careful, the plastic filter housing is located on the left of centerline in the enginebay near the top of the radiator)
3. Unscrew (counterclockwise) the filter housing and withdraw the filter/ stalk. You will need 4 new o rings that should come with the filter. When you break the vacuum on the filter stalk, about 5 -8 ounces of dirty oil drains into the sump and out into your catch pan.
4. Place the new filter and o rings on the stalk and re- insert
5. Replace the drain plug and (if your confident with a new washer) the aero trays.
6. Put 8 quarts of 0-40 ? Eurospec Mobile Synthetic and replace the filler cap.

Start the car and let the pressure build. You may need to add the 1/2 quart if the sensor requests it. My 2003 posts an error code if I try to add all of the oil at once. The only method to determine the oil level is on the FSS display. I have an aftermarket dip stick but it is not necessary.

Can't give you any advice on the tranny / filter yet. I have the parts but waiting to build a few more miles. The tranny uses M-B fluid (only) and you can't get but about 1/2 of the old fluid out without an extractor (shop tool).
I have purchased all of this stuff (factory parts ) from www.autohausaz.com. They have decent prices. If you by mail order parts, get ALL of the stuff under one order because the small items (crush washer for sump and safety tell tale latch for tranny fill) are cheap but handling / postage is the same as for the more expensive parts. Good Luck and don't be afraid. If you can do a Ford Falcon, you can do an M-B.

Last edited by Clinton Horn; 06-30-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I know there are people who swear against this but: MB engines (give or take a few rare exceptions) are built for oil change by siphoning. You don't need to get under the car and you don't mess with the oil plug on an aluminium sump. Keep yourself clean too. Just about all official workshops do it this way (I guess on most other cars too but it does not work on all that have not been designed for it).

The tranny is quite a bit more complicated. Considering that it only needs oil change infrequently, I would leave it for an MB workshop. But if you don't have one close enough, find accurate instructions and tools, it should be fine then.