Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
IPOD integration help

Hey guys,

Just picked up my E320 CDI. It has an input jack in the glove box.

Two questions.

Does that automatically mean that I have the integration system installed?

What type of interface plug system do I need to plug my IPOD into it?

Any other helpful hints would be great. The car is an 05'

Thanks
Old 06-15-2008, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Dieselpowr
Hey guys,

Just picked up my E320 CDI. It has an input jack in the glove box.

Two questions.

Does that automatically mean that I have the integration system installed?

What type of interface plug system do I need to plug my IPOD into it?

Any other helpful hints would be great. The car is an 05'

Thanks
All 2005 models as far as I know have that jack. That is just an AUX jack and will take any 1/8th" phono plug and pipe it through the audio system. This includes iPods and other MP3 players.

The true iPod integration kit includes a module that integrates with the Audio Gateway (in the trunk) and an actual iPod dock connector. The installation is fairly difficult if you are not familiar with the car. If you are interested in the iPod integration kit I would encourage you to allow the dealer to install it to make sure it is done right.

To access the Audio Gateway (the amp, tuner, and "brains" of the audio system) you have to remove the side panel on the drivers side of the trunk. Behind yet another metal panel is the AGW. You have to make some connections to this, a fuse panel, and run a wiring harness to passenger side and up to the front of the car. The actual iPod module mounts underneath the passenger side kick panel, and a connector runs from it to the glove compartment, where the iPod is stored. A wire also connects to the rear of the COMAND unit, so you will need to remove the CD-Changer and the COMAND unit during the installation.

And last but not least, you will need to have the car version coded at the dealer to turn on the phone on-hook and off-hook buttons on the steering wheel, as they are used to navigate the iPod menu on the instrument cluster. Without the version coding, the integration kit will not work.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 CDI
Holy crap. That sounds like a ton of work. How much does parts and install cost? I think I can already guess......more than it's worth.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Holy crap. That sounds like a ton of work. How much does parts and install cost? I think I can already guess......more than it's worth.
Really depends on the dealer. I was sold the integration kit for $250 from my dealer and they did the install for $100. That was not the "normal" rate, however.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Your car will play MP3 music recorded on CD discs, and in your case (2005 model) most likely recorded on DVD discs as well. So, just transfer your iPod music onto a CD or DVD and play thruogh the CD changer or single slot player.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 CDI
That might be the way to go. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 AM

2004 E500
Just get the cable

for a couple of dollars you can get a cable with a mini plug on either end. Plug one side into the adapert and the other into the ipod. Done. Sure you control the ipod through the ipod and not the stereo, but it's cheap and simple. Why spend a fortune making modifications?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:31 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
That might be the way to go. Thanks.
I just burned some MP3 music onto a CD and the added benefit is that the Command unit displays the artist, album and track name. You can also scroll through a list of artists on that CD. Very cool. BTW, if you have the iPod connector, it will not display on the Command screen -- just the instrument panel display.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:15 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Very cool. BTW, if you have the iPod connector, it will not display on the Command screen -- just the instrument panel display.
That's true of the MB Ipod intergator. But you can get aftermarket ones that will show in COMAND and in the speedo display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFgj0YsF7B4

Jay (TuneTime) is on this board and has a shop on Long Island. If IPod is important to you, this would be the way to go, imho.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:37 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by jallison12
That's true of the MB Ipod intergator. But you can get aftermarket ones that will show in COMAND and in the speedo display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFgj0YsF7B4

Jay (TuneTime) is on this board and has a shop on Long Island. If IPod is important to you, this would be the way to go, imho.
Wow, that's very interesting. I ordered my car with iPod integration, but I haven't yet felt the need to buy an iPod. If I could get it to display in Command, then I might. So far, I just burned two CDs full of MP3s that remain in the CD changer, so I have 1.5 gb of music.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 PM

2003 E320
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
All 2005 models as far as I know have that jack. That is just an AUX jack and will take any 1/8th" phono plug and pipe it through the audio system. This includes iPods and other MP3 players.

The true iPod integration kit includes a module that integrates with the Audio Gateway (in the trunk) and an actual iPod dock connector. The installation is fairly difficult if you are not familiar with the car. If you are interested in the iPod integration kit I would encourage you to allow the dealer to install it to make sure it is done right.

To access the Audio Gateway (the amp, tuner, and "brains" of the audio system) you have to remove the side panel on the drivers side of the trunk. Behind yet another metal panel is the AGW. You have to make some connections to this, a fuse panel, and run a wiring harness to passenger side and up to the front of the car. The actual iPod module mounts underneath the passenger side kick panel, and a connector runs from it to the glove compartment, where the iPod is stored. A wire also connects to the rear of the COMAND unit, so you will need to remove the CD-Changer and the COMAND unit during the installation.

And last but not least, you will need to have the car version coded at the dealer to turn on the phone on-hook and off-hook buttons on the steering wheel, as they are used to navigate the iPod menu on the instrument cluster. Without the version coding, the integration kit will not work.
Polar Bear:

I did the MB Ipod Installation on my 2003 E320. I got it on ebay for around $120 (I was lucky). It is the MB Original and it even came with the MB Documentation for detailed installation.

The car already had Version Coding since I also have the Cradle and Puck for the phone.

I noticed that I can access the Ipod Menu options with the Streering Wheel but not with any buttons on the COMAND itslef. I also do not see the Song Titles on the COMAND. I do have Full Functionality and I can access every Menu option as if I was using my Ipod on my hands but I only see the Song Titles and the Menu options on the Speedometer Display. Is that the way it should work?

Prior to the MB Ipod Integration I used to have the Dension Ice Link Gateway 500 Adapter and I was able to control the Ipod from both Steering and from the COMAND. I was also able to see the Song Titles on both the COMAND and on the Speedometer Display. The only problem I had with the Ice Link was that I did not have Full Menu Functionality. I used to play songs Randomly.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.