Keyless Go

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 06:27 PM
DHS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 G500, 1969 280SL, 2008 Porsche Carerra C2S and 2011 BMW Z4
Keyless Go

Can anyone confirm of Keyless Go on the E class has a credit card transponder ( as on the S, CL & SL's ) or an actual Key that you keep in your pocket. I have the credit card on my SL and love not having to hold onto a key..Based on my experience, I advised a friend topurchase the option on his E 500 Sport..His car just arrived with no wallet sized credit cards..Just normal Keys that he has to carry in his pocket..Am I crazy or does the term KEYLESS GO mean NO KEY...Any input would be helpful as his dealership does not know the answer..
Old 12-15-2002, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Keyless Go

Originally posted by DHS
Can anyone confirm of Keyless Go on the E class has a credit card transponder ( as on the S, CL & SL's ) or an actual Key that you keep in your pocket. I have the credit card on my SL and love not having to hold onto a key..Based on my experience, I advised a friend topurchase the option on his E 500 Sport..His car just arrived with no wallet sized credit cards..Just normal Keys that he has to carry in his pocket..Am I crazy or does the term KEYLESS GO mean NO KEY...Any input would be helpful as his dealership does not know the answer..
hi, the new E is the only car in the lineup with the trasponder built in the keys, so all you need is the key, people complained that the card brok easily, and woudnt fit in all wallets so they changed it for 2003.....but only for the new E
Old 12-15-2002, 06:34 PM
DHS

2008 G500, 1969 280SL, 2008 Porsche Carerra C2S and 2011 BMW Z4
My wallet card for the Sl has been in my wallet for 7 months..Never take it out and it works fine..Again, The point of Keyless Go is NO key..I think MB needs to rename the option or stop taking peoples money.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:57 PM

2013 S550
I did a bit of research on this before I bought the car, and found several things speaking to the the point bmms8 referenced about the credit-card key breaking a lot. Granted, MB should come up with a more elegant solution than a normal key, but I'd rather have that than something that breaks for a high-enough percentage of folks to be considered troublesome. Plus, I don't carry a wallet -- just a magnetic money clip and a driver's license and an Amex. Carrying the regular key doesn't really bother me, and valets are more comfortable -- I haven't run into many valets that are familiar with keyless go.

Now, one thing I would like to see on keyless go would be the ability for the car to sense when you've left and automatically lock itself. I don't mind pressing the button on the handle, but again, I look to MB engineering for more elegant solutions.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by ctouhey
I did a bit of research on this before I bought the car, and found several things speaking to the the point bmms8 referenced about the credit-card key breaking a lot. Granted, MB should come up with a more elegant solution than a normal key, but I'd rather have that than something that breaks for a high-enough percentage of folks to be considered troublesome. Plus, I don't carry a wallet -- just a magnetic money clip and a driver's license and an Amex. Carrying the regular key doesn't really bother me, and valets are more comfortable -- I haven't run into many valets that are familiar with keyless go.

Now, one thing I would like to see on keyless go would be the ability for the car to sense when you've left and automatically lock itself. I don't mind pressing the button on the handle, but again, I look to MB engineering for more elegant solutions.

i think the car does lock itself after 30 seconds if you unlock it, and close the door, i know it does that if you remotely open it, then dont open any doors
Old 12-16-2002, 09:34 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
I went to a MB "OnTrack" day and part of the festivities was a MB trainer presenting the new E models. He indicated MB re-thought Keyless-Go, considering the key is still required for emergency access using the metal blade backup, and they made the key itself the passport rather than a separate card. He said they found that people were still carrying the key for emergencies. I can see benefits to both sides.

I preferred when they used to give you the "flat key" wallet model for the '98 E and '01 C I had, but they stopped that with the '02's I believe. That was still thicker than I would have liked for my wallet, but it gave me a backup start key and metal blade key. It had no remote opener mechanism, but it would seem to be a good alternative for the Keyless-Go customer because it was quite flat and small.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:04 PM

2003 E320
key

while this comment may be indicative of my quality perception of mercedes benz...with that said...

i feel more comfortable with the keyless go embedded into the key. i don't want to be stuck outside someplace where my keyless go for whatever reason decides to malfunction. if that happens, i know that i can always take the key out of my pocket and open the doors, start up the car, etc. and when i take the car to the valet, i always stick the key into the ignition anyway so that the valets can just use the key the way that they are used to.

if it was a card, i would personally carry the key in my pocket or backpack anyway so having keyless go embedded is good for now.

also, if you get carjacked, you can get out of the car and know that when the guy turns off the engine, he won't be able to start it again (at least not very easily).

Rock
Old 12-16-2002, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
Re: Keyless Go

Originally posted by DHS
Don't you have keys for your house or work, etc? If so, you can just carry the key along with those.
Even if I had the "credit card" keyless go, I would still have to carry around other keys with me.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
I too prefer the keyless go functionality in the key rather than in a credit card sized controller. If the keyless go malfunctions (and this has happenned to people), at least you have a key to open the doors and start the car with as a backup.

On a side note, when I first heard the term "Keyless GO", I originally thought that MB finally same up with a remote starter. And I was not alone, because whenever I mention these words to anyone in my family, they also thought the same - especially considering that this option costs $1000. But, this is not the case and although what they provide is useful to many folks, it would have been great if they finally provided a remote starter. Some Italian customers of ours were recently at my work and they told me that MB does offer a remote starter option in Europe. Wonder why they do not offer it in the US?
Old 12-16-2002, 01:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Originally posted by ashahashah
I too prefer the keyless go functionality in the key rather than in a credit card sized controller. If the keyless go malfunctions (and this has happenned to people), at least you have a key to open the doors and start the car with as a backup.

On a side note, when I first heard the term "Keyless GO", I originally thought that MB finally same up with a remote starter. And I was not alone, because whenever I mention these words to anyone in my family, they also thought the same - especially considering that this option costs $1000. But, this is not the case and although what they provide is useful to many folks, it would have been great if they finally provided a remote starter. Some Italian customers of ours were recently at my work and they told me that MB does offer a remote starter option in Europe. Wonder why they do not offer it in the US?
Its an auxillary heater remote control for those really cold countries.. Read about it in your manual. You can set start times for it from the system or use the remote control - I think it only starts the heat / ventelation though...
Old 01-05-2003, 09:59 AM

2000 audq a6
stupid question but...

u open the vehicle with the keyless go and start the enging with the keyless---

being the new e uses the key with the chip

how do u lock the vehicle?
Old 01-05-2003, 11:56 AM

2013 S550
There is a black square on each door handle and one on the trunk (underneath the badge lip). Press any one to lock the car.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:33 PM

2000 audq a6
another stupid question

is there an auto loick on the key itself?
Old 01-05-2003, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by mike_fern2001
another stupid question

is there an auto loick on the key itself?

you mean if you unlock your car, and no one opens the doors will it lock? yes, its after 45 seconds. and yes there is a lock button on the remote, if that is what your asking