New blue tec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
New blue tec

Just saw an artical on Volkswagen new blue tec without AdBlue.
They say the car switch to a feul air mixture to burn off the trapped NOx.

Here is the artical
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

What im wondering is, if the car burns off the trapped emmisions, isnt it still puting the polutants back into the envorment.Anyone know more about this?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 246 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by 451/443=EW
Just saw an artical on Volkswagen new blue tec without AdBlue.
They say the car switch to a feul air mixture to burn off the trapped NOx.

Here is the artical
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

What im wondering is, if the car burns off the trapped emmisions, isnt it still puting the polutants back into the envorment.Anyone know more about this?

If you burn something, you will produce at least CO2, typically H2O too. When the particle filer is regenerated, some stuff gets released but it isn't those particles that got trapped as they burn to something mostly harmless.

Note that this is what my W221 does as well as all the MB Bluetecs in the US.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:10 PM
asg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S600
if its like the diesel pickups, when the particulate filter gets full, it dumps fuel in there to burn it off. your gas mileage gets worse, but its supposed to be better for the environment, not sure how, if you are wasting more fuel.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by asg
if its like the diesel pickups, when the particulate filter gets full, it dumps fuel in there to burn it off. your gas mileage gets worse, but its supposed to be better for the environment, not sure how, if you are wasting more fuel.
Perhaps you did not mean it but it does not take any significant amount of fuel to regenerate the particle filter and it only happens every now and then. But the presence of the filter itself, from air flow resistance does increase fuel consumption. So far there just is no better solution to fulfil the current emission requirements.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:48 PM
asg

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Perhaps you did not mean it but it does not take any significant amount of fuel to regenerate the particle filter and it only happens every now and then. But the presence of the filter itself, from air flow resistance does increase fuel consumption. So far there just is no better solution to fulfil the current emission requirements.
Maybe that is the case with the Mercedes system, but the ones they have been using in some of the american diesel trucks has been robbing them of 4-6 mpg. I have a friend who has developed a bypass to the particulate filter, along with some programming to prevent all the check engine lights.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by asg
Maybe that is the case with the Mercedes system, but the ones they have been using in some of the american diesel trucks has been robbing them of 4-6 mpg. I have a friend who has developed a bypass to the particulate filter, along with some programming to prevent all the check engine lights.
Looks like you missed my comment partly (my fault, could have been more clear). I was not claiming that the MB diesel particle filter would not increase fuel consumption more than marginally. I was just claiming that the regeneration process with additional fuel injection is not significant. I don't have a good figure how for the fuel consumption increase from the actual presence of the filter.

But I find it odd if one first pays for the filter and then pays for getting rid of it. Shouldn't legislation be changed if the filter does not have a meaningful purpose.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:39 AM
asg

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Looks like you missed my comment partly (my fault, could have been more clear). I was not claiming that the MB diesel particle filter would not increase fuel consumption more than marginally. I was just claiming that the regeneration process with additional fuel injection is not significant. I don't have a good figure how for the fuel consumption increase from the actual presence of the filter.

But I find it odd if one first pays for the filter and then pays for getting rid of it. Shouldn't legislation be changed if the filter does not have a meaningful purpose.

Unfortulately you don't have a choice but to pay for it. It is installed in many of the new diesels. It does reduce the emissions, just not the consumption. I depends what you think is worse for the environment, the increaseconsumption, or reduced emissions. As far as having it removed, they sell the kits to remove the filter "for race applications". You are not supposed to remove it.