E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

chipped windshield repair?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550 Sports
chipped windshield repair?

LA's fwy is getting worse and worse, and so many trucks hulling junks and gravels and they hit the windshield and chips them. it looks very annoying while driving. I know there are many windshield repair place, will they be able to fix the chips like it never happened before? or are they merely fixing it so it will not crack into a bigger one? anyone has any experience about windshield repairs?

As a side note, if I decide to replace the windshield later on due to a bigger crack, and choose to go with 3rd party company that sells the OEM windshield, will they still have the little etched Mercedes Logo on the lower right hand corner that looked like a business card?

Sorry about all those dumb questions, I ask because even though I bought my car used, but I really love and enjoy my car, and I feel really bad that I chipped my windshield in a matter of less then 5 weeks time and 3 keyed scratches already.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 PM

07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Hey, Pek...
Just had 2 chips fixed 3 weeks ago. The tech explained beforehand that it was possible/likely that the damage would not disappear. The repairs would improve the damaged area, but were only meant to help prevent the damage from spreading. After the repairs, one prot disappeared, and the other now looks like a mosquito hit the glass. My cost was about $110. Outfit called SafeLite came to my work location, and repairs took about 30 minutes.

If spots "spider-web," then I'll get $110 credit toward new glass replacement.
Can't answer the Q regarding MB Logo windshield stickers.

Also, I never got used to the damaged areas before the repairs. However, after 3 weeks, I have gotten used to the small "bug-splatter." Don't notice it anymore.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Pekkle
As a side note, if I decide to replace the windshield later on due to a bigger crack, and choose to go with 3rd party company that sells the OEM windshield, will they still have the little etched Mercedes Logo on the lower right hand corner that looked like a business card?
Its not etched, its a white sticker, available from the MB parts department.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
but I really love and enjoy my car, and I feel really bad that I chipped my windshield in a matter of less then 5 weeks time and 3 keyed scratches already.
sucks dude, damn haters
Old 07-09-2008, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Funny - Mercedes drivers must have OCD about these things... As Barry said... they are available from the MB Parts Department and the part number is listed on the one you have on your car. Just go request one for a few bucks...

Many insurance companies will provide an OEM glass if you request it. I had the one in my E55 replaced and they provided the OEM glass to go back in per my request.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E350, 03 Lexus ES300, 04 CLK 320 (gone)
if you have a small chip, those can be fixed for cheap...otherwise if it's determined to be a big crack -- spreading, then replace the whole front glass...check your Insurance deduct (for Comprehesive coverage) if it's low, then make a claim....it doesn't go against your insurance rates. If you have a high deduct, then take care of it our of pocket.... (average about 3 to 4 hundred)

Try All-Star Glass (Southern Cali)...I had my windshield replace same day and with my car being black, they asked if I wanted the OEM replacement (blue tint) or charcoal -- I went with charcoal...looks better. I just didn't go with the Mercedes Sticker in the corner....
Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Glass coverage is an inexpensive option on your policy and well worth it (mine is $50/yr)
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 PM

2007 E550 Sports
Originally Posted by starbrite
Glass coverage is an inexpensive option on your policy and well worth it (mine is $50/yr)
Thanks for all your help, I just can't believe how bad the LA freeway has gotten. my 2001 BMW windshield was already replaced once, and then new one has many chips on the windshield, but that car was old, so I really didn't care, but my MB was only a year old when I got it, so I really feel the pain for everything from windshield chips to keyed. Sorry, I guess I am just a little paranoid.

and you guys have been a wonderful help! You guys Rule!!