Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB E500
Cars Most often Stolen

Thought this was interesting:

Toyota's Camry Is Stolen Most Often
Drivers of the Toyota Camry are once again driving the most-often stolen vehicle in the U.S., a research group reported this week. The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), using statistics compiled from FBI data, shows the Camry to be the most popular car for thieves for the second year in a row. The NICB estimates that there were 1.2 million vehicle thefts in the U.S. in 2001, an increase of 5.7 percent. The Honda Accord, another popular midsize sedan, ranked second, followed by the Honda Civic, the Oldsmobile Cutlass/Supreme/Ciera, the Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, the Chevrolet full-size trucks, the Toyota Corolla, the Ford Taurus, the Chevrolet Caprice and the Ford F-150.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:45 PM

2003 E320
stolen cars

generally the most stolen car list and the best selling car list are similar.

most of the professional car thieves are out there to steal a car, strip its parts, and dump the car. the parts that sell fastest are the ones that can be used for the best selling cars out there.

of course the joyriding car thieves like to steal luxury and sports cars but those thieves are very few in number when compared to the pros.

Rock.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:25 PM

Some lux cars are either harder or "impossible" (with on board tracking) to steal. Those popular selling cars need so many parts replacement?? Probably stolen for illegal export!!??!!
Old 12-19-2002, 06:39 PM

2003 E320
car theft

car theft is pretty high in LA (where i live). my area isn't too bad and i have a garage so it's not bad but i know one girl who got her honda prelude stolen. police recovered it but it was messed up. she got it fixed (took about 6 months) and it promptly got stolen again 2 months later. the car was parked at the dorms over at UCLA.

i know another dude who got his old toyota celica stolen. police recovered it but it was an older car and my friend didn't have full coverage insurance on it. some parts were gone but the car was driveable (ignition had a screwdriver in it, trunk lock was a hole where you had to stick your finger inside to unlock, the seats were taken out and cheap crappy seats were put in, stereo gone, etc.). he drove it though when he got it back and sold the car about 3 years later for $500. about a month later we saw the car out on the street and it was for sale for $1500. the new owner fixed the ignition key, rear trunk key, etc...but we looked in the car and saw the same old light blue seats in the dark grey interior .

i think the pros just take the cars over to the small garages where the garage owners will give them quick cash (like $500). the thief just walks away with $500 and the garage owner guy will strip the car of all of the useful parts and then dump the car out on the street where it will later get recovered by the cops. nobody wants a garage full of stolen car frames so they take what they can, dump the car, and sell the parts.

they'll sell the parts to normal reputable garages too sometimes because when was the last time you asked for "refurbished" parts to be used on a honda and checked to see if the part was stolen? can you even do that?

Rock

(i like what vincent (john travolta) in pulp fiction said about how you should never touch a man's car....and how it'd almost be worth it if he can catch a car thief trying to steal his car because of what he'd to do the thief)
Old 12-19-2002, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Smile

I own one of them, Jeep Grand Cherokee, but I keep it garaged!
Old 12-20-2002, 02:38 AM
Almost a Member!

1993 Toyota Camry
Thumbs down

I used to drive a 93 Toyota Camry. I never felt like the car was a target. I used to park it on the streets and it would be there everyday. I had a 95 Dodge Caravan and guess what happened to it?That's right. Gone with the wind. Any car is a potential target. However, I believe Hondas and Acura Integras are number one on a thief's list. I knew a guy who was into tuning cars and he told me the Integra engine is the most sought after piece of machinery that's out there.