Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:02 AM
.V.
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E420 490 CV
Originally Posted by LaidBackUSA
That's a great idea and I shouldn't be surprised when a credit card sized RFID tag/transponder like solution is deployed. But, a standard key is quite helpful if/when the transponder fails. I've had my Audi "keyless go" system fail due to a dead battery in the remote key unit. Overall, keyless go is a very convenient feature and I use it 99.99% of the time. Anyway, we've got many years ahead of us until other all other key driven systems and locks(office, home, cycle, boat, file cabinets, safe deposit boxes, etc.) become smart and we're not somewhat bound to carrying keys in our pockets...
Battery probleme is the same for a "normal" key.

Key less go key need more battery change for sure but each time you go to service, the dealer have to change your key battery so. normaly, no probleme.

French car (I come from Belgium) Renauld I think got a credit card transpondeur.. A friend of mine got one and it's realy usefull.

From 2000 when MB have design the prototype broking in pocket and now, technology as had a big evolution a transpondeur may be really thin today...
Old 08-31-2008, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by .V.
Battery probleme is the same for a "normal" key.

Key less go key need more battery change for sure but each time you go to service, the dealer have to change your key battery so. normaly, no probleme.

French car (I come from Belgium) Renauld I think got a credit card transpondeur.. A friend of mine got one and it's realy usefull.

From 2000 when MB have design the prototype broking in pocket and now, technology as had a big evolution a transpondeur may be really thin today...
Are you sure the Renault card is a KG type of device? I certainly am not familiar with Renault (and don't want to be) but I've seen the credit card type of a key that you put on a slot and then start the car from a start button. Completely crazy, instead of just putting a normal key in the ignition key and turning the car on, you have to use two different "devices".

I believe some BMW have a similar approach. I guess it looks nice to see a start button but as long as it does not work as KG, it only makes things worse. Renault might have a true KG approach too, then things become different. But the issue with the KG device is the RF transmit power, an RF transmitter and the electronics as such don't need too much space at all but if the key is made to work without too much delay (presence of key detected mainly), it would need a good battery and the batteries have not improved significantly over years, neither an RF transmitter efficiency.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:11 AM
.V.
Almost a Member!

2006 E420 490 CV
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Are you sure the Renault card is a KG type of device? I certainly am not familiar with Renault (and don't want to be) but I've seen the credit card type of a key that you put on a slot and then start the car from a start button. Completely crazy, instead of just putting a normal key in the ignition key and turning the car on, you have to use two different "devices".

I believe some BMW have a similar approach. I guess it looks nice to see a start button but as long as it does not work as KG, it only makes things worse. Renault might have a true KG approach too, then things become different. But the issue with the KG device is the RF transmit power, an RF transmitter and the electronics as such don't need too much space at all but if the key is made to work without too much delay (presence of key detected mainly), it would need a good battery and the batteries have not improved significantly over years, neither an RF transmitter efficiency.
yes for sure renault got one. http://www.willemin.net/Presse/Fonct...ss%20drive.pdf This show that opening doors are keyless but not start. I know that it's possible for start too now

MAzda got one too...

But there look not really thin and difficult to put in a wallet
Old 08-31-2008, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
As many of you have already said, I use my KG 100% of the time and love it..it doesn't make any sense not to use it...I love walking up to my car and just making it blatantly obvious that I don't have keys in my hand and just walk up to pull the door open, slide in and at the same time that I am hitting the seat cushion and putting my seat belt on I have already started the car and am driving off..Talk about a good getaway

To all of those who are crazy, keyless go is double redundant...saying that you dont trust the connection is pretty much ignorant because the key cycles the code with the car every 15-30 mins to make sure that it is still there, in the same manner that it does when you lock it from the outside. Look at your key the next time you press the start button...you will see the red indicator light light up on the fob. This is the key talking to the car.

Furthermore, the key has to be missing from the car for about a half-hour or 20-30 miles before the car will shut itself down progressively...this does not mean that it is going to jam itself in park while someone's driving your baby at 100 down the freeway. But, it will kill the engine and allow the car to be taken to a stop...past that, it will lock itself up completely and shut the 3 main computers down.

Also, you guys know that you can open and close the windows/sunroof with the buttons on the handles right?

As to being able to start the car with the key being in proximity to the outer sensors is nonsense...do you honestly think that with the Highway Institute already mandating window safety in terms of automatic closing and pressure sensors that they would approve a key that would potentially allow occupants to start a car with the driver outside, effectively rendering the key useless? (your key can not unlock and lock the car once it has started the car) Try to start the car with the door open and the key right out of the door frame between the A and B pillar...if you play around with it you will find that there is a very fine line as to what the it calls "in" and "out" of the car...if the key is detected by the outer sensors at all it will not allow the car to be started..pretty ingenious if you ask me

Some people just need to use their brains before bashing a common sense item on these cars...its like saying ABS doesn't help that much - well, unfortunately just like keyless-go, ABS only saves you a few split seconds in the work that it does...Ask yourself if your expectations are reasonable before you make comments that are completely asinine.

Who said the criteria for reducing stress and simplifying everyday tasks in life was a purse? F*** that, I don't have a purse, I bought my fiance her purse, and if I want to save a combined time of 25 seconds per day (5 sec's alloted to 5 car uses/day, time in+out) by purchasing the P2 Package I will do just that.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S
Originally Posted by WWMIndy
...I love walking up to my car and just making it blatantly obvious that I don't have keys in my hand and just walk up to pull the door open....
You sound like me...haha....

Nice write-up. You don't need to have to own a purse for Keyless-Go to be a benefit. Walking up to the car with jacket, briefcase, laptop and whatever in-hand, you then really appreciate the benefits.

I first had this feature on my '06 Lexus IS350, and my next car needed to have it. I can't go backwards in technology when it comes to my cars. So I was glad my '07 E550 had it, and then it was a must when I traded up to the ''08 E63.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I have a small toll transporder. Manual states that it never needs battery replacment. So I can guess that keyless go should conserve battery, becasue you do not open door on big distance radiating a lot energy as with a regular remote. I have a credit card size badge to enter in my office, it has no battery at all. So what technology is used in keyless go which consume so much energy?
Old 09-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Almost a Member!

07 Bluetec P2 package panaroma sunroof wood and leather steering wheel, keyless go
I use it 100% of the time. I hate driving my truck, and I will never buy a vehicle w/out it again.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by WWMIndy
Furthermore, the key has to be missing from the car for about a half-hour or 20-30 miles before the car will shut itself down progressively...this does not mean that it is going to jam itself in park while someone's driving your baby at 100 down the freeway. But, it will kill the engine and allow the car to be taken to a stop...past that, it will lock itself up completely and shut the 3 main computers down.
What is your source for this? I am not doubting you - I am just wondering what the car actually does. I have removed the batteries from my SmartKey way before this thread to see how the car reacts... the first time it sense it missing it will turn the dash red and say Key not recognized. After that, it periodically reminds you, but I didn't drive for 30 minutes on that trip. I just assumed that when I turned the car off that it would not start back - had no idea it would actually turn the engine off.

On another note - I did noticed the car will not let you drive with the SBC disconnected. I was checking to see exactly how the brake pedal felt in backup mode. The dash turns red and will not let you shift out of Park.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
I remember when we came out with this back in 1996 on an alarm system we manufactured, the MEGA 3200. It would lock and unlock as you approached or stepped away from the vehicle. Not only that, you could start the car from like 600 feet away by remote. And, it had an option to turn off the passive arming/disarming feature through a switch on the remote.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
your car will not shut off when it is 20 to 30 miles away... simply not true. How will the car recognize if the key is 500ft or 30 miles away? All the car will see is "no key". The car will stay running and functional, just can't restart it.

MB did this at their driving events, just started the cars and left no keys in them. Lexus does that too.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Kar don
your car will not shut off when it is 20 to 30 miles away... simply not true. How will the car recognize if the key is 500ft or 30 miles away?
I think he meant that it would shut off when the car could not detect the key for a timeframe or mileage driven when key is not detected - not distance away from key.

Simplest way to to test is start the car and remove the batteries from the SmartKey and drive.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
I do not think it is rigth behavior from safety point view. Your key buttery can gone while you driving and just imagine what can happen if an engine saddenly shut off when you drive at 65 in bumper to bumper traffic conditions.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dema
I do not think it is rigth behavior from safety point view. Your key buttery can gone while you driving and just imagine what can happen if an engine saddenly shut off when you drive at 65 in bumper to bumper traffic conditions.
That's true - or assuming if the battery or SmartKey went defective while driving... the car would suddenly shut off...

Considering Mercedes always errs on the side of safety (i.e. no rain-closing feature in the US) I don't see them having this capability due to liability reasons. What if the car shut down in the middle of a tunnel or on a bridge...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 AM

05 CLK500; 07 Volvo XC90
Yeah, I would think it would a real big liability issue. I don't have keyless-go but I would imagine you can't start the car again without the 'key' in proximity.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:38 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I don't have it and don't mind. I figure it's one of those things where when you have it you need it, but when you don't it's not a necessity at all. Plus I like having things in my hands sometimes (key for example), and whipping it out to start the Car, etc. Also another "old school" thing I enjoy which the newer tech S Classes have ixnayed is the feeling of a shifter, and clicking it into gear with my right hand. Pressing a button and having the area where the shifter would be blank just doesn't feel right to me. Also I prefer my manual shifting to be in that same position instead of the wheel paddle shifters.

Guess I'm an old school youngin', heh.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
I don't have it and don't mind. I figure it's one of those things where when you have it you need it, but when you don't it's not a necessity at all. Plus I like having things in my hands sometimes (key for example), and whipping it out to start the Car, etc. Also another "old school" thing I enjoy which the newer tech S Classes have ixnayed is the feeling of a shifter, and clicking it into gear with my right hand. Pressing a button and having the area where the shifter would be blank just doesn't feel right to me. Also I prefer my manual shifting to be in that same position instead of the wheel paddle shifters.

Guess I'm an old school youngin', heh.
Same here, have to have shifter at the center (I'm not driving an SUV where the shifter is on the steering wheel). Also, I don't like pattle shifters. Idk why some people, like my cousin for example, has an orgasm over paddle shifters.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I agree. It's a technology thing or having the "newest" thing IMO with some people. If M-B and all the Super Cars put a gearshift on the roof and said that was the future of shifting people would probably be busting a load to get one themselves. Sitting in the new S-Class, as beautiful as the interior is, that big empty area in the middle makes me trip out and feel like I'm in an old Lincoln or something.

No offense to anyone who likes Paddle Shifters or the like and I'm not knocking them or new Tech, but I dunno, I guess I'm just more selective about the new gadgetry I jump for joy about. Does help out my pockets though, hah.

Last edited by K-A; 09-09-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe the new 7-series that is coming out has the alien-***** looking shifter on the center instead of on the steering wheel.

Idk I like the feeling of turning the key in the barrel. Also, I hate the auto trunk closer. Broke twice on the CL500. I'm afraid to open and close my trunk, wtf!?!?!?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 PM

2006 E55 Black on Black
I use it 100% of the time. I would not buy a car with out it.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:41 PM

CLK500
Originally Posted by Dema
That's EXACTLY what happened to me...ON 3 SEPARATE OCCASIONS! I was going 65 mph on a highway and my car just died! Yes, I was using the keyless go (I use it all the time...WHEN IT WORKS). The dealer changed a sensor, but the problem came back. They replaced the Electronic Ignition Switch and said that fixed the problem. Not entirely. While driving, I will randomly get the message 'Key Not Detected' on my console. Thankfully, the engine did not die (3 times was 3 times too many) but it makes me feel that this car is very unsafe. I've been told that the problem is 'probably' not related to the keyless go, but noone can really say for sure.

Now I can't unlock the door without taking the key apart and unlocking it with the metal part of the key. The dealer doesn't know what the problem is--they've had my car for 3 days and haven't called me once.

The level of customer service from Mercedes Benz and their dealers has diminished greatly over the years. For that reason, I will never buy another Mercedes.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by clk500_owner
That's EXACTLY what happened to me...ON 3 SEPARATE OCCASIONS! I was going 65 mph on a highway and my car just died! Yes, I was using the keyless go (I use it all the time...WHEN IT WORKS). The dealer changed a sensor, but the problem came back. They replaced the Electronic Ignition Switch and said that fixed the problem. Not entirely. While driving, I will randomly get the message 'Key Not Detected' on my console. Thankfully, the engine did not die (3 times was 3 times too many) but it makes me feel that this car is very unsafe. I've been told that the problem is 'probably' not related to the keyless go, but noone can really say for sure.

Now I can't unlock the door without taking the key apart and unlocking it with the metal part of the key. The dealer doesn't know what the problem is--they've had my car for 3 days and haven't called me once.

The level of customer service from Mercedes Benz and their dealers has diminished greatly over the years. For that reason, I will never buy another Mercedes.
Your level of service COMPLETELY depends on the dealer and does not necessarily represent Mercedes-Benz. In regards to the Keyless-Go issue - I have tested this to satisfy my curiosity - I started the car using the Keyless-Go button, removed the battery from the SmartKey, and drove away. The system periodically checks to ensure the key is still detected (in the event a passenger perhaps had possession of the key and exited the vehicle separate of the driver) and will provide a warning in the I/C to inform the driver of a potential problem. I never had the car turn off one time - it just occasionally gave the warning that the key was not found in the vehicle.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Originally Posted by clk500_owner

Lemon law? If the same problem which is considering as serious (yours is) can’t be fixed 3 times you can initiate car replacement or get money back. I own second Benz, and no one showed any problem repeatedly. Actually I would feel really bad, because I do not see much other car choices besides of Benz. I didn’t want to get another Benz because had some problems with first one, however checking a maker by maker brought me to idea that I should try just another Merc. So far it had only one problem at time of delivery and then works like a charm.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
I'll never buy another car again without Keyless Go. I never had it before this car and it is quite convenient. I'm not lazy by any stretch, but when I have my hands full and getting in the car not fiddling around with getting keys out of my pocket, it sure is nice.

And for you "old schoolers"...you are driving an automatic.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
‘03 MB S600; ‘07 Saab Aero conv; ‘65 Vette; ‘66 vette; ‘05 BMW Z4
My S600 has keyless go, but it's not working. I suspect the card has a dead battery (?). There's a little door on the back of the card - can I pry it open and replace the battery, or ?
Old 12-06-2009, 01:32 AM

2007 silver e550 p2 pano sport
If any of these people that don't like keyless-go actually HAD keyless-go, they would be singing a much different song.

I never had it before my e550, and I just love it. I pity those without it, and have actually started a charity foundation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keyless go