E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2008 E350 clear corners / side markers, LED, bulb out message?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4matic
Lightbulb 2008 E350 clear corners / side markers, LED, bulb out message?

Hey guys,

My dad just took delivery of his new E350 and I hooked him up with some clear corners to clean up the front end (huge difference on the white). They came with amber bulbs so the clear lens would still light up amber at night, but the new ones get much hotter than the stock bulbs. We decided to leave the stock clear bulbs in there to avoid melting, but now the light is bright white. We would like to use some LEDs, but before I order them I wanted to see if anyone had experience with them.

Autolumination has an LED replacement for the stock 2825 bulb:

but, on my '06 Passat, I know that if I replace any regular bulbs with LEDs I get a "bulb out" indicator and the LEDs do not work. I know I can use a resistor to circumvent it, but would rather not. Hence, my question, does anyone know if the MB will notice if I swap a couple of amber LEDs into the clear corners?
Old 08-28-2008, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by santos.
Hey guys,

My dad just took delivery of his new E350 and I hooked him up with some clear corners to clean up the front end (huge difference on the white). They came with amber bulbs so the clear lens would still light up amber at night, but the new ones get much hotter than the stock bulbs. We decided to leave the stock clear bulbs in there to avoid melting, but now the light is bright white. We would like to use some LEDs, but before I order them I wanted to see if anyone had experience with them.

Autolumination has an LED replacement for the stock 2825 bulb:

but, on my '06 Passat, I know that if I replace any regular bulbs with LEDs I get a "bulb out" indicator and the LEDs do not work. I know I can use a resistor to circumvent it, but would rather not. Hence, my question, does anyone know if the MB will notice if I swap a couple of amber LEDs into the clear corners?
Yes the car will tell you that a bulb is out. Leave the stock bulb with the clear corner.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:46 PM

2004 E500 Brilliant Silver/Ash Appearance & Premium Pkgs
Or just install incandescent "stealth silver chrome" amber bulbs from Autolumination. They look great under the clear corners when not lit up, are amber when illuminated and don't result in a "fault" message in my vehicle...
Old 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM

E350 4matic
Thanks guys.

Fanatic, just as I suspected, thanks for confirming. I think I'll just leave the stock ones and let it be white, hopefully won't get any trouble from the cops.

E500, the clear corners came with similar stealth bulbs and they run much hotter than the white bulbs while putting out half as much light. I would hate for the plastic to melt. It just doesn't seem worth it to have less light output and more heat, even though it would be amber.