E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Light Segments on Speedomoter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S550
Light Segments on Speedomoter?

Yes, I did look in the manual (that's how i know they're called segments) and used the search function but didn't find what I was looking for.

I never use the key since I have Keyless Go. However, when a valet brings my car to me, they always use the key. When I get in, I have little yellow segments from 0 mph to ~110 mph on the inside of my speedometer. I turn the car off, take the key out and use the Keyless Go system to start, and the segments go away.

Today I tried reading the manual. I used the key and went through all the menu settings. I drove it for a while and tried different things. I noticed if I set the cruise, the segments would change, but when I canceled the cruise they reappeared in the same range mentioned above.

If anyone can explain this segment thing to me, I'd be most appreciative.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Light Segments on Speedomoter?

Originally posted by ctouhey
Yes, I did look in the manual (that's how i know they're called segments) and used the search function but didn't find what I was looking for.

I never use the key since I have Keyless Go. However, when a valet brings my car to me, they always use the key. When I get in, I have little yellow segments from 0 mph to ~110 mph on the inside of my speedometer. I turn the car off, take the key out and use the Keyless Go system to start, and the segments go away.

Today I tried reading the manual. I used the key and went through all the menu settings. I drove it for a while and tried different things. I noticed if I set the cruise, the segments would change, but when I canceled the cruise they reappeared in the same range mentioned above.

If anyone can explain this segment thing to me, I'd be most appreciative.

the lit segments are for cruise control, it looks cool, and it is the main sign that your cruise is on, it basically shows how fast your going, because if you speed up, the segments will move faster to show you were you are, and then the needle will catch up because of the power it uses
Old 12-28-2002, 07:07 PM

2013 S550
Thanks, bmms8. I haven't gotten out to use the cruise control. I thought it may be related so I tried it briefly (with the key in), but I couldn't get the light segments to disappear. I'll read through the manual on the cruise again.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:23 PM

2003 E500
This is only 3 test drives's worth of exposure to the display but....

the only color I saw was the same as the 'regular' blue/white color that the radio station/odometer/trip computer/outside temp indications show

with cruise I noticed that they turned on from the cruise speed all the way clockwise to the top end of the speedometer. Thus if you set 65mph cruise, you should see all the segments illuminated from 65 UP *clockwise* to the max speedometer speed. When I disengaged cruise all segments went dark and I never saw them again. It seems that the purpose of lighting most of the ring is to substitute for a light that says "CRUISE-ON",

with distronic - I remember seeing a video or slideshow (perhaps the interactive feature on mbusa.com) that showed the segments illuminating when Distronic was slowing the car down. For example, turn Distronic ON, set cruise to 65mph. Suppose the car then slows to 50 mph - there will be illuminated segments from 65 DOWN to 50, to show how much speed Distronic has pulled *off*, this is in addition to the little car picture in the center of the multifunction display.

I haven't seen Distronic in person.

I also don't remember if the segments lit up during the ignition sequence.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I have never seen the segments lit up except when the cruise control is on.

I don't have the keyless go so can't try to duplicate using the key like you described the valet doing.

Let us know what you find out.

Ed
Old 12-28-2002, 10:53 PM

2003 E320
The segments light up for
1) cruise - from 0 to the set speed. When you turn the engine off, it's the same as cancelling cruise, and the segment disappear. Unless you pull the cruise lever by accident, they shouldn't re-appear.

2) distronic - from your speed to the measured speed of the car ahead.

Strange that the segments would light up to the end of the scale. Perhaps, a dirty sensor?
Old 12-28-2002, 10:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
The Cruise Control indicator (the light segments) is turned off when:

1. The control lever is pushed towards the front of the car; or,
2. When the brakes are applied.

In both cases, the last set speed is stored. By pulling the control lever towards the driver, Cruise Control is resumed to the speed in memory.

ctouhey,
The valets probably mistake the Cruise Control lever for the Turn Signal lever. What I don't understand is why the light segments are still on when the car is turned over to you. Cruise Control cannot be engaged below 20 mph.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:18 AM

2013 S550
This is sizing up to be another service stop for me.

Going back to when I first got the car (10/21) and before I put in in the 28 day service (10/31), the guys wanted to go to the Stables for French Dips for lunch. When I got the car from the valet, the segment indicators were showing and everything was in Italian and kilometers.

That evening I sat in my garage and went through the settings with the key in the ignition (actually went through it twice with both keys). I thought things would be okay.

Next trip to the Stables the same thing, execpt everything was English/mph, and I had the segment indicatiors from 0 to 110 mpg. Plus, all the other options I set were okay.

I have never used the cruise contol until today, and that was only to see if the segments would go away while I was driving with the key in. Like I said, the 0 reading changes to whatever speed the cruise was set, and the top end seem adjusted. When I canceled the cruise, the segments went back to 0 to 110.

If anyone else (ahem: bmms8) has Keyless Go, can you try it with the key and chack for the segments? I'd like to know if it's some simple setting before I take it in for service yet again.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB

Going back to when I first got the car (10/21) and before I put in in the 28 day service (10/31), the guys wanted to go to the Stables for French Dips for lunch. When I got the car from the valet, the segment indicators were showing and everything was in Italian and kilometers.

That evening I sat in my garage and went through the settings with the key in the ignition (actually went through it twice with both keys). I thought things would be okay.

Next trip to the Stables the same thing, execpt everything was English/mph, and I had the segment indicatiors from 0 to 110 mpg. Plus, all the other options I set were okay.

I have never used the cruise contol until today, and that was only to see if the segments would go away while I was driving with the key in. Like I said, the 0 reading changes to whatever speed the cruise was set, and the top end seem adjusted. When I canceled the cruise, the segments went back to 0 to 110.

If anyone else (ahem: bmms8) has Keyless Go, can you try it with the key and chack for the segments? I'd like to know if it's some simple setting before I take it in for service yet again.
wow, you got your car on 10/21 too, that makes 3 of us, me, you, and jhb i dont know what your asking though, are you asking me to start it up with the key, and set the cruise control?
Old 12-29-2002, 03:35 AM

2013 S550
Dude, glad you are willing to help. No, just start with the key. Do you see the segments? If so can you make them go away? (Black paint does not count.) Let me know what happens.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:03 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
ctouhey: You might also note your odometer reading when you give it to the valet versus when you get it back!
Old 12-29-2002, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Dude, glad you are willing to help. No, just start with the key. Do you see the segments? If so can you make them go away? (Black paint does not count.) Let me know what happens.
ct, im sorry, i still dont get it, im really confused, so far, all i know is to start the engine with the key, and look for lit segments, like te cruise control
Old 12-29-2002, 11:47 AM

2003 E500

<snip>

Sounds like perhaps the valet at the restaurant was playing with the buttons on the steering wheel and changed the configuration on the trip computer?

if these are key-dependent settings, isn't there some precursor step they would have needed to take to make them 'permanent' ? i.e. you saw Italian, but they weren't memorized settings, so when you turned it off at home and then reinserted your key, it went back to your key-specific (english/miles) settings?

or has it happened on trips to other places too? 2 times to the same place where another person gets their hands on the wheel makes me wonder if it was the same valet and if they were playing with the configs trying to get the radio to crank up....
Old 12-29-2002, 11:48 AM

2003 E500
Originally posted by jim256
ctouhey: You might also note your odometer reading when you give it to the valet versus when you get it back!
yeah, shades of Ferris Buehler :-)
Old 12-29-2002, 11:55 AM

2003 MB E500
It is probably the valet hitting the cruise lever by accident when they bring your car to you. Until I got use to the position of the cruise and turn signal levers I'd hit the cruise lever all the time and see the lighted part of the speedo as you describe. So it is probably just the valet hitting the cruise lever on the way to bringing you your car IMO.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM

1999 SLK Sport & 2003 E500 Sport, 2014 GLK350 4matic
Came across this post from 02.....yes I currently have the same issue on my 03 E500.....and I have the segment ring all of the time with different keys and the moved the cruise "stick" around: no change.......any one else see this ?

Thanks....Rick

Last edited by rdp3430; 05-02-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2023, 02:47 AM
J R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
Originally Posted by rdp3430
Came across this post from 02.....yes I currently have the same issue on my 03 E500.....and I have the segment ring all of the time with different keys and the moved the cruise "stick" around: no change.......any one else see this ?

Thanks....Rick
Rick, not sure if this will reach you. Did you ever find out why all of the segment lights were on all the time?