E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Best tire for performance A/S and fuel efficiency?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 E320 Bluetec, 2008 GL320 CDI
This Just IN! Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 'Plus'

I just changed my order to these tires. I was looking for decent mileage, and tires that last and I wanted all season. Michelin just released for sale this month, (September), the pilot sport a/s plus. The difference between this 'new' tire and the old, the 'Plus' comes with a 45k mile tire warranty and the wear rating went from 400, to 500. Tire rack should get most sizes in next week.

My two cents worth. Price difference is not all that much, for my set the newer version cost a total of about $80 more for the set of 4.

Just something to think about, if you are trying to decide between tires.

Bryan
Old 09-04-2008, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Great link, thanks! Now to just find his contact information... His quotes are proof that the people in charge are in fact morons.
Pretty easy to guess that too...
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
I believe the Bluetec comes with 16" factory wheels in the US and Canada
Yes, you are correct; the Bluetec comes with 16" alloys/tires. My dealer took the original Michelin A/S tires in trade for Pilot Alpin M/S tires which were then installed on the original 16" alloys. This is my winter set-up.
For the rest of the year, my car runs on 17 "Almach 5 spoke alloys with Conti ProContacts. This tire is a much better rated tire than the OEM Michelin MXV4.
The Michelins may have a long tread life, but in every other category, they are inferior to the Conti ProContact according to the reviews @ www.tirerack.com

Last edited by DerekACS; 09-05-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of there tires are excellent choices

So, I thought that I would add my experience. I have had very good luck with Pirelli PZero Nero all seasons, they perform similarly to the Pilot Sports, but are less money.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by Baron11
I just changed my order to these tires. I was looking for decent mileage, and tires that last and I wanted all season. Michelin just released for sale this month, (September), the pilot sport a/s plus. The difference between this 'new' tire and the old, the 'Plus' comes with a 45k mile tire warranty and the wear rating went from 400, to 500. Tire rack should get most sizes in next week.

My two cents worth. Price difference is not all that much, for my set the newer version cost a total of about $80 more for the set of 4.

Just something to think about, if you are trying to decide between tires.

Bryan
Let us know how you like the set. I have used the Pilot Sport A/S in the past and really loved the tires. Now I am using Michelin PS2, Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 A/S, and Michelin Primacy MXV4 on the cars.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Let us know how you like the set. I have used the Pilot Sport A/S in the past and really loved the tires. Now I am using Michelin PS2, Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 A/S, and Michelin Primacy MXV4 on the cars.
Why not use summer tires in so.Cal, nothing to gain from all-seasons.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 AM

E320
Originally Posted by chairman
So, I thought that I would add my experience. I have had very good luck with Pirelli PZero Nero all seasons, they perform similarly to the Pilot Sports, but are less money.
Michelin Pilot Sports AS are tough to beat for quality, mileage and perfomance but also considered Pirelli Pzero Nero AS for the economy factor.

As I moved to the staggered set up, the economy factor rose. Americas/ Discount tire direct, recommended me towards the Goodyear Eagle
F1 AS over the Pirellis with price being equal and the GYs supposedly having
newer technology in the tread design. When he pulled both tires off the rack, I liked the GY aesthetics the more squared shoulder and tread designof the GYs. The closer was a rebate deal going on )

The GYs are meeting expectations so far.

Last edited by enr1co; 09-09-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 AM

03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
I went from the Michelins, to TOYO Versada tires, much better rain tire and quieter too, to early to determine tread life but suppose to be a 60K mile tire, got 44K out of the Michelins...