E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Headlamp question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Headlamp question

I have messed with my vehicle settings and now can't get my headlamps to turn off after turning off the car and exiting. The day I took delivery, the car would leave the Xenons on for the time I specified in the Lighting settings. Now, when I exit the car, the foglamps and the "high beam halogens" come on for lighting.

I have messed with the settings and have even reset to factory default and no success? Any suggestions? I have my headlights set to auto, and have turned on the surround and the headlamp delay, etc.

I couldn't find the info I needed in the manual.

Thanks in advance.

Peter
Old 12-29-2002, 12:12 AM

2003 E320
Well, sounds as if delayed shut-off is set too high (p.141 in the Manual), but you said you've adjusted that. High-beams aren't supposed to turn on like this anyway - does any indicator light/warning/alarm sound come up when you remove the key? Check the exterior lamp switch, maybe it is not on Auto or pulled to foglight?
Old 12-29-2002, 08:43 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
p 140: "Use the 'Headlamps delayed shutoff' function to set whether and for how long exterior lamps illuminate during darkness after all doors are closed. Parking,tail,license plate and front fog lamps. The exterior lamp switch MUST BE SET TO POSITION AUTO (caps just for clarity).

Is it possible on day 1 you did not have them on Auto? I still get some surround lighting on entry and exit at night, since I have the "locator lighting" set as well. (p. 139)

I do not have the Xenons, but the small front light which houses both parking and high beam does illuminate the parking lamp when exiting at night. I thought the Xenon option had low and high beam xenon. Otherwise it's all halogen, as mine.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:55 AM

2003 E500
Thanks guys.. after reading the manual it says all the lights apparently light up EXCEPT the headlamp lowbeams.. so all is in order.. BUT I KNOW the first day I had the car... took delivery, got it home, picked up my wife and son, and head off to the mall for some Christmas shopping.. when exiting at the mall.. the Xenons stayed on for a while after I left the car.. I was trying to restore that... but it's not supposed to be that way I guess.

Thanks guys... if I discover something I'll post here.

Peter