E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Wierd Senario - HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Wierd Senario - HELP!

In hollywood last night on one of those steep hills off Franklin. The kind of hill where if you let go of the brake while in drive the car would plummet down the hill backwards

Anyways, retard infront of me is taking WAY too long to turn, so a friend suggests to backup and go around. I decide to just let go of the brake instead of going in reverse WHILE STILL IN DRIVE. The car rolled for I want to say 15-20 feet and then came to a dead stop. It sounded like the car put itself in park (that metal "CLUNK" sound), and the ESP /!\ came on solid. The car wouldn't accelerate anymore.

I quickly put it into park, turned it off, then on. Car seemed to drive normally. A few minutes later though, I started noticing some changes:

1. Steering seemed less sturdy, that is, the wheel felt looser while turning it to the left.
2. Brake response seemed to be affected too

If someone can give me a logical explination (theory?) for all of this, that would be really helpful.

ps I should also say that a few weeks ago the entire spindle, control arms, ball joints, and bearings were replced on the passener side wheel.

thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017
what I know is, in D at a dead stop (foot off the brake) the car is held from going backwards ... I dont know what the phenomenon is to accomplish this but has to do with braking system. Only if you had put the gear in neutral you would have been fine ... anyway, I hope u're under warranty & would recommend not to go into details (steep slope etc) when you take it in for service ...
goodluck
Old 09-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by 007_e350
what I know is, in D at a dead stop (foot off the brake) the car is held from going backwards
Same here! Won't roll back!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4Matic
ive that happen before where i was on a steep hill and i let off the brake pedal and the car rolled backwards. i didnt experience the same problem afterwards tho.