E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Active Cornering Headlamp System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Active Cornering Headlamp System

Is this new technology worth the wait? I ordered an E500 for February production with March delivery. From what I understand, this technology will be available around spring time.

Is it standard equipment or an option? If optional, how much does it cost?
Old 12-31-2002, 03:45 PM

2003 E500
it's supposed to be in the wagon first (or that's the first press release I've seen that concretely talks about it)

sounds pretty cool to me - there must be gimbal limits on it so it doesn't get 'stuck' pointing off to the side with a big dead dark spot in the front when it breaks.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:05 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
I'll bet it's quite a while until the US approves this type of lighting. I don't think it's legal now in the US, and in fact there are some groups trying to reverse the approval of xenons because they "glare" too much. If you are not in the US, you might have a chance to try it and let us know.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:21 PM

It will first appear in the wagon then filter to the sedans...ultimately becoming available in the other lines.

Since it is speed and steering angle sensitive, I wonder if its necessary for regular, sane driving. I have been quite satisfied with bi-xenon on my BMW thus far. Would this be another feature like parktronic...nice to have but not necessary?
Old 12-31-2002, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Doesn't Cadillac have something like that now? Seems I have seen TV advertisements with some kind of cornering headlights.

Of course I have been in Europe on Holiday for six months and may have seen the ads there.

Ed
Old 12-31-2002, 11:25 PM
MKW

08 GL450
No, the US car " cornering lights" have been around for three decades - it's a bright front side light that only turns on with the turn signal for completing a turn into a driveway or around a street corner.
The MBZ active cornering lights will actually following curvy roads at high speeds .
BMW is working on headlights using hundreds of beams that will be full time high beams but so focused that it doesn't dazzle oncoming traffic. They will not only follow the road but combined with GPS, will use some of these beams to " paint " turn arrows on the road to guide you to your desination .
What's next ? You e-mail written on the road ?

Last edited by MKW; 12-31-2002 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by MKW
They will not only follow the road but combined with GPS, will use some of these beams to " paint " turn arrows on the road to guide you to your desination .
What's next ? You e-mail written on the road ?
I have a sudden vision of an electronic glitch "painting" a left turn arrow when a right turn was needed..at night..and driving into a swamp

Ed
Old 01-01-2003, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by etenn
I have a sudden vision of an electronic glitch "painting" a left turn arrow when a right turn was needed..at night..and driving into a swamp

Ed
wait, what do you mean, you thought you saw a left arrow in the road, or you imagined it, and did you really drive it into a swamp! sorry to hear that man
Old 01-01-2003, 01:02 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
If you want to read a good detailed article on all the things that must be considered to make these headlights work, take a look at this article prepared by Audi:
http://www.audinews.info/engines/lights.htm
Old 01-01-2003, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by bmms8
wait, what do you mean, you thought you saw a left arrow in the road, or you imagined it, and did you really drive it into a swamp! sorry to hear that man
bmms:

You must have missed the post above by MKW.....check it out.
Nobody drove into a swamp (yet)
Old 01-01-2003, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by etenn
bmms:

You must have missed the post above by MKW.....check it out.
Nobody drove into a swamp (yet)
lol, mb, i see
Old 01-01-2003, 02:27 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Say ETENN.... I just ordered a E500 Obsidian Black with Charcoal... Can you tell me how the car is in terms of heat buildup? Does the Obsidian Black Show swirls? I hear it does not show swirls much, your opinion?
Old 01-01-2003, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by marksatex
Say ETENN.... I just ordered a E500 Obsidian Black with Charcoal... Can you tell me how the car is in terms of heat buildup? Does the Obsidian Black Show swirls? I hear it does not show swirls much, your opinion?
it wont show them like black shows them, but tiny swirls will build up, i use zaino, and even though i take good care of it, i have scratches, get obs blk, its for free, and it is metallic
Old 01-01-2003, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
I have obsidian black...so far no swirls at all. Few scratches except for a damn cat. I also am using Zaino to help keep the scratches and swirls away. Don't let anyone else detail or wash the car and use the methods in the detailing forum to wash and Zaino.

I truly hate to wash or detail cars but am doing it and it is working so far.

Also...check with the dealer on how they prep the cars..a lot of scratches and swirls are put on by the dealer. Look at some they have in inventory and look for swirls/scratches. If they are there tell them not to prep the exterior.

Be a great idea to order the Zaino products now so you will have them on hand when you get your car.

Ed
Old 01-01-2003, 04:13 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Thanks- How is the heat build up on a sunny day?
Old 01-01-2003, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by marksatex
Thanks- How is the heat build up on a sunny day?

mark, i also suggest putting zaino on your rims, on our chromes they are the best i have ever seen, and that is with only 3 coata, and when they gwt dirty, i dont even need to wash them, a quick cleaning with a cotton towel is enough. zaino wont depreciate because of the heat, the heat actually makes it feel smoother i believe
Old 01-01-2003, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
If you are talking about the interior of the car heating up on a hot suuny day....I wouldn't have a clue...Haven't seen much heat or sun since I picked up my car in November:p

I have had many black cars and it is my opinion that they do not get any hotter than lighter colors. In many very warm climates the local people wear black or dark colors to reflect the sun's rays.

Just my humble opinion, of course. I am sure someone will jump in to take exception.

Ed