E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Sensotronic Groans? Front Suspension Vibration?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
Sensotronic Groans? Front Suspension Vibration?

Help please with 2 problems:
1. Sensotronic pump/compressor(?) makes extremely loud groan when activated. Service tech says device is working properly, but two brake lines are touching somewhere and causing vibration/noise. Zone office recomends special insulation for brake lines. Does this sound legit?
2. Vibration/shimmy from front suspension generally when vehicle is cold upon deaccelleration at 30 mph. Dealer cannot replicate problem.

3,000 miles on clock. Feedback would be appreciated. Could not find other related threads.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 ML320
I definately have those 'groans'. Have read on several posts that they are related to the brake system either priming itself or keeping the pressure reserve up. In fact, I hear it with the car in the garage as soon as I open a door before even turning the car on. Much too loud and deep to be caused by hoses touching each other. Haven't heard that there is anything that can or should be done about this - apparently different from other cars but considered normal.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:10 AM

03 E500
I was thinking that with all those views, and no replies, that my situation was unique. The first time I took the car in for service, the tech said that the groan was normal. The second time I took it in for new motor mounts, they acknowledged that the groan was exceeding loud. They called a zone service office (or something) that had heard of the problem and perscribed a repair. I'll advise if/when completed.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:33 AM

2003 E500
i'd read about the groan from the SBC when the driver's door is first opened (pre-start), but on my car I hear a *really* loud pump sound after I put the car in *park* **after** driving it.

add to that some odd transmission noise when coasting - bmms8 earlier mentioned that when he took his foot off the gas, the auto trans never seemed to engage the clutch to coast - rather, it tended to engine-brake the car.

with the audio off and the driver's window open I really noticed that sound of the drivetrain when coasting to a stop yesterday several times - depending on wheel rotation speed the sound increased/decreased in pitch, almost like the sound of a car being topped out in reverse gear but much lower pitched. (throttle *off*)

I'll try it coasting in neutral today to see if I can isolate it further - I'm used to hearing just the crunch of tires on road debris when coasting down a quiet street - It's not the motor, that's really quiet at idle..it's something in the transmission/differential area.

since I only have 100 miles on it I'm wondering if that's parts-seating break-in that needs to happen. Others have mentioned some noises getting quieter as they got past 700 miles

anyway, i'm heading in next week to the dealer to have a curbed wheel fixed, so I'll try to get explanations for the park-pump and the gear noise.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Almost a Member!

Angry Unhappy

I just returned from a 5200KM (3200 miles)trip to Florida and back. I was very unhappy with the perfomance of my new $82000 (Can) 03 E320.
Before I left the city I checked tire pressures.
All 4 tires were underinflated. (This was 2 days after I got my car back from problems with the steering wheel being off center.)
On the highway the front tires were vibrating/shimmying and of course the steering wheel was still off center. I found it difficult to keep the car from wandering all over the road.In Ft.Lauderdale I took the car in for wheel balancing and I was told that I needed wheel alignment as well.(This corrected the problem of the steering wheel being off center.)
2 days later the SRS malfunction light came on.
The same dealer checked the car and I was advised not to drive the car untill they got the new part FROM GERMANY !!!!! since nobody had one locally.(2-3 weeks).I managed to get the part by telephoning my dealer in Toronto who FEDExed the part to Florida. This was all during Christmas holidays. All in all, I never had problems like this with my Lexus and Nissan Maxima.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2003 E320, Parktronic, Harmon Kardon Audio System, , Power Rear Sun Shade
multicontour active ventilated seats 4 zone heating /aircond. (standard)
Xenon/Headlamp Washer. Panoramic Roof
Old 01-05-2003, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by jposhea3
i'd read about the groan from the SBC when the driver's door is first opened (pre-start), but on my car I hear a *really* loud pump sound after I put the car in *park* **after** driving it.

add to that some odd transmission noise when coasting - bmms8 earlier mentioned that when he took his foot off the gas, the auto trans never seemed to engage the clutch to coast - rather, it tended to engine-brake the car.

with the audio off and the driver's window open I really noticed that sound of the drivetrain when coasting to a stop yesterday several times - depending on wheel rotation speed the sound increased/decreased in pitch, almost like the sound of a car being topped out in reverse gear but much lower pitched. (throttle *off*)

I'll try it coasting in neutral today to see if I can isolate it further - I'm used to hearing just the crunch of tires on road debris when coasting down a quiet street - It's not the motor, that's really quiet at idle..it's something in the transmission/differential area.

since I only have 100 miles on it I'm wondering if that's parts-seating break-in that needs to happen. Others have mentioned some noises getting quieter as they got past 700 miles

anyway, i'm heading in next week to the dealer to have a curbed wheel fixed, so I'll try to get explanations for the park-pump and the gear noise.
hey jp, actually that wasnt me who had the shifter problem, i forget who, but i wouldnt shift into nuetral unless you break in the engine, i might be wrong because it isnt really shifting, but your only 900 miles away sorry i didnt congrat you on your car, i was reasing your siganture, and saw you got your car only 2 days ago, nice gl with it