E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2006 E350 - Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E500 Flint Grey - Charcoal
2006 E350 - Radio

Looking to pick up a '06 E350 and it has the stock radio vs the Harman Kardon. Can someone tell me if there is a big difference between the two? I do enjoy listening to music so a good sterio is a must but if the only difference is 460 watts .. probably not necessary ..

Also, how well does the aftermarket ipod integration work? Is it worth buying?
Old 10-03-2008, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 95 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by dvmak
Looking to pick up a '06 E350 and it has the stock radio vs the Harman Kardon. Can someone tell me if there is a big difference between the two? I do enjoy listening to music so a good sterio is a must but if the only difference is 460 watts .. probably not necessary ..

Also, how well does the aftermarket ipod integration work? Is it worth buying?
I assume you are referring to the Mercedes iPod Integration Kit. Yes, if you have an iPod, it is worth buying IMO. Not to say it doesn't have a few shortcomings, but it is better than not having the integration.

The shortcomings seem to stem from the fact the COMAND has a volume limiter on the AUX input (which the iPod integration kit depends on) so the volume is typically lower than from other sources (Radio, CD, etc.). There are workarounds that reduce the impact of this however.

Others complain that the iPod is only controlled by the IC and the steering wheel controls. While it would be nice if you could control it with the COMAND, I don't find it that big of a deal for me personally.

I should add that the alternatives are units that replace the CD-Changer and emulate CD-TEXT on the COMAND to provide integration. I think this also provides a pure digital sound vs. the analog output of the Mercedes iPod integration unit. Although I haven't used one personally, I think the CD 1-6 allows you to select the iPod submenu (artists, playlists, albums, etc). Seeing as I think the CD-Changer part of the COMAND has a 99 track limit, I am not sure how/if this impacts the operation of these aftermarket integration kits.

Also, I have not heard a non HK system to compare. I think the HK system sounds pretty good - especially when listening to CD.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 10-03-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added additional information
Old 10-04-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E500 Flint Grey - Charcoal
Who makes a good ipod integration alternative?

Has anyone tried a true digital alternative to the MB analog interface?