Vindication!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Vindication!

Ok, I know some of you will think this is petty, but when I first got my new E about 6 weeks ago, I pitched a B-itch about the karate-kid-crane-move P.O.S. cup holders. Some respondents thought I was being chicken*****.

Today's Orange County (CA.- where else?) Register did an entire feature on the importance of cupholders. Among the highlights:

1. "...explains Don Clark, a DaimlerChrysler executive widely viewed as a key player in cup-holder history (due to the mid-80's Chrysler minivan."

--So why hasn't this carried over to MB?

2. "Beyond whatever the cup holder might or might not symbolize, there's something the cup holder definitely is-a sales tool."

3. "Even BMW, the frill-averse automaker that once resisted cup holders as an apparently profane diversion from the serious business of driving, now includes (and touts) cup holders in most of its cars."

4. "Cup holders...are a really big deal in selling a car, says Zekria, a Tustin Dodge salesman, Maybe not the biggest thing, but they matter. A lot."

5. "One in four car shoppers would switch brands, or even consider an entirely different kind of vehicle just to find the perfect holder, according to a survey issued last year by Irvine baed car buying service Autobytel."

6. "In recent years, cup holders have popped up on shopping carts, lawn mowers, and baby strollers."

HELLLLLLOOOO ! Mercedes? You out there? Are you getting a clue???????????????

EDJ
<Future Lexus buyer>
<Serious coffee drinker>
Old 01-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E430 Sport
Sounds like a good poll.

Do you eat or drink in your Benzo?

I for one don't. Too big a risk for a car that I want to keep in pristine condition...
Old 01-03-2003, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Joe,you are truly vindicated!!! A lot of us agreed with you from the start. Your description as the "karate kid" cupholder has popped up in several threads here and on some of the other forums

On my survey "What is you LEAST favorite thing on your new E500? I wrote in "cupholder" and "no compass" I wish I had written " Karate Kid Kupholder" but didn't think of it.

Ed
Old 01-03-2003, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Hey joe, just wanted to let you know the cupholders in my Lexus SUCK! Other than that I love the car .
Old 01-04-2003, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock on, Joe - glad to see you vindicated.

If you want true, superior, Super-Big-Gulp-compatible cupholders, you simply have to go American, and none of us here probably love cupholders that much...even you, Joe.