E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

In the 07 E550 Why does the alarm make the battery go dead in 72 hours.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550, S550, Clk 350
Question In the 07 E550 Why does the alarm make the battery go dead in 72 hours.

My E550 had a dead battery yesterday. The tech that came to the house said that sometimes the wind can set off the alarm, someone bumping up against it, and if you don't crank the car it will drain the batter below 11 volts, and not let the car start. First of all I never heard the alarm. The keyless go key would not turn in the slot on the dash. He checked everything and said the battery was great the alternator was fine.

He said this was a problem at the dealers. They don't arm the cars, that is use the push button to lock the cars, they instead us a lock box. If they did not they would have dead cars all over the lot.
The technology was put into these cars for that reason. Take the battery down so nobody could steal it. But, I don't understand why the 72 hour discharge. I have had the car since Aug. 26 2006 , it is a 2007 with 22,000 miles. Never had this happen before, I usually leave it for 3-4 and don't crank it and never had a dead battery.

Can anyone tell me better about this, what should I do .

Thanks

John
Attached Thumbnails In the 07 E550 Why does the alarm make the battery go dead in 72 hours.-e550.jpg  
Old 10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by patek
My E550 had a dead battery yesterday. The tech that came to the house said that sometimes the wind can set off the alarm, someone bumping up against it, and if you don't crank the car it will drain the batter below 11 volts, and not let the car start. First of all I never heard the alarm. The keyless go key would not turn in the slot on the dash. He checked everything and said the battery was great the alternator was fine.

He said this was a problem at the dealers. They don't arm the cars, that is use the push button to lock the cars, they instead us a lock box. If they did not they would have dead cars all over the lot.
The technology was put into these cars for that reason. Take the battery down so nobody could steal it. But, I don't understand why the 72 hour discharge. I have had the car since Aug. 26 2006 , it is a 2007 with 22,000 miles. Never had this happen before, I usually leave it for 3-4 and don't crank it and never had a dead battery.

Can anyone tell me better about this, what should I do .

Thanks

John
. Um, the only things that can trip the alarm with these cars are door pins (if you open the door while alarm is armed, as in pull the lock and open the door), a hood and trunk pin (open hood or trunk by hand if alarm is armed), jack the vehicle up (tilt sensor), and, I think, if you put the key in while the alarm is armed. (They used to have if you press the brake while the alarm is armed it would trigger).

There are no shock sensors (detect vibration, this is why you usually hear car alarms go off cause they are set at too high of a sensitivity, very easy to change), no glass break sensors (um, that's self explanatory, I think ). The euro cars come with interior motion sensors. So the wind and bumping would not set it off. I have no knowledge about the battery crank.

Btw, beautiful car. Nothing like white with a pano-roof.

Last edited by gaazmon; 10-08-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550, S550, Clk 350
E550

Still scratching my head. I will have to look a bit deeper.

You have a great looking car. I just got the Flint Grey in the S550 4Matic, I like the darker colors. I really love black, just can't keep it clean.

Thanks.

John
Old 10-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Mention bulletin S-B-54.10/162 APR06 Quiescent current test to pinpoint if any system is responsible for voltage drop - involves disconnecting fuses or CAN-distributors and measuring the voltage drop directly at the fuse.

Display vehicle network voltage in the instrument cluster (IC):
- Temperature/speed display
- Key to position one
- Press reset button in the IC three times
- Audible sound will be heard and voltage will appear
Old 10-11-2008, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black

You have a great looking car. I just got the Flint Grey in the S550 4Matic, I like the darker colors. I really love black, just can't keep it clean.

Thanks.

John
Congrats on the S550. Thank you for the compliment, I actually really wasn't looking for this color either, but ended up with it, I love it, can never tell the car is dirty. I actually like white the most (white with pano = amazing), 3/4 of our cars are white actually, I'm the black sheep . I had black once and would never get it again. I also think it kills a lot of the looks of the car, i.e. if you have pano roof and black paint you can't even tell.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I have an 08 E550. No issues with battery discharge in just 72 hrs.

I've left my car for 2 weeks w/o any issues. Started right when I got back.

Something is not right with your car and you should take it to the dealer as its still under warranty.