Extended Warranty: Dalimer Chrysler vs. Pentagon vs. 'Self Insure'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350

Hi Guys;
My 2006 E350 Warranty is just about up and seriously thinking about getting an extended warranty as an insurance policy against big repairs. Current plan is to keep the car for at least 5 years.

Here's my options:
1) Dalimer Chrysler warranty from Lisa:
5yr / 50K - $100 deductible
Covers almost everything (exclusionary)
Use only with MB Dealerships
$3500 cost

2) American Mercury Platinum + Electronics through Paragon
48 Mos / 50K - $100 Deductible
Covers most everything
Any dealership
$4100 cost

3) Self insure - put $3500 in a bank account and hope that I don't incur repairs greater than this.

What would you choose? Why?

Thanks in advance!
Chip
Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
how has the car been doing so far? any big repairs yet or a bunch of pesky small stuff? how much do you drive?

you gotta think that by the time a 2006 is 8-9 years old it is going to have to have some work done. whether or not its going to be 3-4 thousand that is gamble you have to look at.

i got a 3yr warranty on my 2006 for the peace of mind, but then again mine was only 1545, not 4100 so one trip to the stealership could cover that. tough call...

Last edited by sleewell; 10-22-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
How long do you plan to keep it, for a total of how many miles? To self insure I'd budget $2,000 per year you plan to keep it after the warranty expires.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by igolfchip
Hi Guys;
My 2006 E350 Warranty is just about up and seriously thinking about getting an extended warranty as an insurance policy against big repairs. Current plan is to keep the car for at least 5 years.

Here's my options:
$3500 cost

Covers most everything
Any dealership
$4100 cost

3) Self insure - put $3500 in a bank account and hope that I don't incur repairs greater than this.

Thanks in advance!
Chip
I never trust aftermarket extended warranties. Always better to go with the factory one IMO.

Also, think about how many options you have as well as in: more options = more problems in the future. Do you have airmatic? dynamic seats? parking sensors? distronic? keyless go? electronic trunk closer? Also how has the car been for you so far? Anything major? I have a lot of options on my car (especially airmatic, dynamic & ac seats, pano roof, etc.) and that's why I bought it certified. Do you know a good independent shop? I have an uncle as one and I have a very good family friend who have known for years that I trust as well. Take all of these into account. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:32 PM

2006 E350
Originally Posted by gaazmon
I never trust aftermarket extended warranties. Always better to go with the factory one IMO.

Also, think about how many options you have as well as in: more options = more problems in the future. Do you have airmatic? dynamic seats? parking sensors? distronic? keyless go? electronic trunk closer? Also how has the car been for you so far? Anything major? I have a lot of options on my car (especially airmatic, dynamic & ac seats, pano roof, etc.) and that's why I bought it certified. Do you know a good independent shop? I have an uncle as one and I have a very good family friend who have known for years that I trust as well. Take all of these into account. Good luck.
Without detailing all the options, I have fewer of the bells and whistles so technically less, but still a few that can go wrong.

I do plan to own this for the full 5 years (about 10K miles / year - local driving mostly).

I don't know of a really good/great local mechanic who specializes on MB.

I am biased towards the Dailmer Chrysler - only $700 + cost of money per year for the full 5 years.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Personally, after looking at costs of parts, repair, warranty contracts, risks, talking with my SA, and other repair shops, I got an MB warranty on my CLS for 3yr/100K, no deductible. This warranty of course is accepted at MB dealerships, no matter where I am.

I am guaranteed to deductible, no issues with payment from another aftermarket provider, and backed by Mercedes. Being that I am keeping the car for another 3-5 years, I thought it was a good buy. The AC system alone costs 3,200 to repair. Airmatic, around 3K. Transmission, forget it!

So, for the price it seemed to be more cost effective to get the warranty.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Get the MB warranty, I would never pay more for an aftermarket warranty.

That being said, a couple of big repairs and your fund will be gone.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Did you check all the other warranties on search? There are a lot of alternatives. Look at warrantydirect.com with online quotes. They even covered my MB cell phone.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
The problem with warranty direct is that most MB dealers in Georgia and Florida won't accept aftermarket warranties due to getting burned by them so much. Unless, they sell it. Otherwise, MB warranty is the way to go. I called over 15 dealers, and they gave me actual cases of no pay to slow pay. They took the time to explain why they don't except them. Warranty direct included in the bunch. The problem came in on the labor rates and parts. The higher end MB's really cost money to fix. Airmatic? Get ready for 3K and up.

One dealer showed me (while I was there) a non-payment on the desk since July. Can you imagine having a warranty, and then still having to foot the bill and wait in the money? On a different occasion I saw this happen, and the guy and his wife blew their tops. Guess what: They had to foot about half the bill. So much for a warranty.

I had an aftermarket warranty through Warranty Gold on my 300M. They were backed by hundreds of millions in assets, blah, blah, blah, that POS went belly up, and the executives ran to the Caymans with the money, filed bankruptcy, and thought they were safe. They are being sued by the people they stiffed, and this has been in court since 2004. I will finally see some of my money back by early 2009.

Be weary of aftermarket warranties, check with your SA to see if they are excepted, and will they pay the MB labor rates AND parts, and not want to go to Pep Boys rates or junkyard parts.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 AM

2017 E300W
Originally Posted by bigben320e
The problem with warranty direct is that most MB dealers in Georgia and Florida won't accept aftermarket warranties
I checked with all 4 local dealers; they all take WD. The service manager at my dealer told me that WarrantyDirect is the fastest pay to them, usually w/in 24 hrs; they've never had a problem.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TPAbnz
I checked with all 4 local dealers; they all take WD. The service manager at my dealer told me that WarrantyDirect is the fastest pay to them, usually w/in 24 hrs; they've never had a problem.
Yours may take it in your area, not knocking WD as they are a big player in warranties. I started off with a warranty from them, but had to cancel it. RBM of Atlanta and Atlanta Classic don't take aftermarket at all, and those are the closest dealers to me, so I had to cancel it, it was within the 30 day period so I was refunded my money.

That's why I said check with your SA/SM, it varies from dealer to dealer. The majority of MB dealers I called don't like to (or won't) deal with aftermarket warranties for reasons stated on my last post.

Good move that you checked first! Saves time and trouble.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
EXTENDED WARRANTY

Did you check all the other warranties on search? There are a lot of alternatives. Look at warrantydirect.com with online quotes. They even covered my MB cell phone.
The search feature on the web site is down so I could not find your old message. I decided to go with the 7 Year 100K from MB on my new vehicle. I was offer a Diamler-Chryler warranty for the same period of time for about 20% less.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:01 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550

Hi Guys;

Here's my options:
$3500 cost

Covers most everything
Any dealership
$4100 cost

Thanks in advance!
Chip
I got a quote on my 2009 E550 for MB 7 years 75K for about $3,000. MB is charging a 15% surcharge if the warranty is not purchased in the first 30 days. I opted for the MB 7 years 100K.

On my wife's 2000 E320 we had GEICO for the 7 years 100K never used it. I think the deductible was about $300.00 and cost about $150 a years. Requires auto insurance with GEICO. The vehicle has about 75K now.
We have been looking for an extended warranty from a third party company. If the company is any good that may give you a little leverage if you are far from home or in another state.

I have looked at the following other companies that cover extended warranty on older vechicles:

1. AAAutoWarranty no relation to triple AAA
2. Agape Auto Warranties
3. Auto Advantage Inc.

I checked the bbb.com on all them by state not to bad on any of them.
I think there was a posting on one of them a few years back on a fraud site.
BBB did have some warning on other third party companies that I also reviewed like many disputes and not a member with reasons.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:30 AM

E500
i went for the Mercury "Platinum" Warranty- 3500.00. First time i took the car in "had an airmatic failure" they denied the claim- So i was stuck with the 1500.00 bill- I specifically asked the rep at warranty direct if they covered the airmatic suspension and he said "sure, of course"... i denied the whole warranty charge on my amex- point is get the MB warranty if you can, it was not available to me as the factory warranty had expired.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 PM

2017 E300W
Yours may take it in your area, not knocking WD as they are a big player in warranties. I started off with a warranty from them, but had to cancel it. RBM of Atlanta and Atlanta Classic don't take aftermarket at all, and those are the closest dealers to me, so I had to cancel it, it was within the 30 day period so I was refunded my money.

That's why I said check with your SA/SM, it varies from dealer to dealer. The majority of MB dealers I called don't like to (or won't) deal with aftermarket warranties for reasons stated on my last post.

Good move that you checked first! Saves time and trouble.

Just did a test, called MB Buckhead 888-723-9091. "Do you accept Warranty Direct for service on my 05 CDI?"

Yes, what is your policy no. and what's the problem? Can you come in tomorrow?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Stay away from Aftermarket Warranties, ESPECIALLY in todays Economy. The positive experiences with them are vastly outweighed by the negative. My Car is CPO'd, and I bought the extra 2 years which was listed at $2,999 for $1,500 (their cost apparently) after I kept refusing to buy the extra coverage, he just kept lowering it. Try negotiating the M-B Warranty.

But DEFINITELY buy the M-B Warranty if you have that option, no question.

The only Aftermarked Warranty I'd trust is Warranty Direct, and I wouldn't even really trust them. Good luck with any Aftermarket covering Airmatic too....
Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 PM

2017 E300W
Originally Posted by K-A
Warranty Direct, and I wouldn't even really trust them. Good luck with any Aftermarket covering Airmatic too....
So they paid a $1000+ claim in under one day for me. Other than second-hand information, please tell us about your actual claim experience with them and why you wouldn't trust them.

Last edited by TPAbnz; 10-24-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

The problem with warranty direct is that most MB dealers in Georgia and Florida won't accept aftermarket warranties due to getting burned by them so much. Unless, they sell it. Otherwise, MB warranty is the way to go. I called over 15 dealers, and they gave me actual cases of no pay to slow pay. They took the time to explain why they don't except them. Warranty direct included in the bunch. The problem came in on the labor rates and parts. The higher end MB's really cost money to fix. Airmatic? Get ready for 3K and up.

One dealer showed me (while I was there) a non-payment on the desk since July. Can you imagine having a warranty, and then still having to foot the bill and wait in the money? On a different occasion I saw this happen, and the guy and his wife blew their tops. Guess what: They had to foot about half the bill. So much for a warranty.
TPABenz: Read the above. Fortunately I don't need any claim experience with them as I have an M-B Warranty. I did say I think they have the most proven track record, even through the BBB, but simple research will show negative experiences with them are out there, albeit less than most other Company's.

I'm simply informing the O/P that an M-B Warranty is the way to go, I'm sure you could save yourself the W.D promo and agree with that.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 PM

2017 E300W
Originally Posted by K-A
I'm sure you could save yourself the W.D promo and agree with that.
Sorry, but I don't know what that means.

So you have no claims experience with them? I do. Again, please tell us about your first-hand experience. As a concerned owner, I sure would like to hear about your bad experience so I can relate to WD and maybe change my coverage. I don't want to be taken advantage from them. You sure do sound a lot more experienced than I on WD.

Last edited by TPAbnz; 10-24-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:39 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I'm not trying to argue dude. I can tell you to not jump off a cliff and can promise you the outcome won't be good. I've never tried it, so I have no personal proof, but the results are out there.

I meant, I'm sure you can save yourself the Warranty Direct promo and agree that an M-B Warranty, if available, at an equal (or cheaper in this case possibly) cost is the way to go. That's great you've had good experiences with them, and if an M-B Warranty wasn't available to me I would probably go with them, but with my money, and through my research, I'd like to stay 100% safe if the chance is there, and an M-B Warranty is the closest to that.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just did a test, called MB Buckhead 888-723-9091. "Do you accept Warranty Direct for service on my 05 CDI?"

Yes, what is your policy no. and what's the problem? Can you come in tomorrow?
Not to argue, but I talked with the service manager at MB Buckhead and was told they don't accept aftermarket warranties. That was a few months ago and may have changed. It seems you are trying to discredit what I said, don't understand why. That was my personal experience of going through an extensive process of choosing a warranty. I researched this from July.

Like I said for the third time, it varies dealer to dealer, and guess what? Circumstances do change. That's why I said call to check and verify yourself. The ones around me at the time said no. Both RBM locations both said no. Atlanta Classic said they no. I will call the SM at Buckhead MB and post back tomorrow to verify. I know the owners of Buckhead Mercedes as well-the Barancos.

On my MB warranty, I was at first told no because I bought my car used from a non-MB dealer. Guess what? Now as of last week, I was able to get the MB warranty now due to a loophole. It was not a CPO previously, so MBUSA let me get the warranty classified as a buyer from a private sale. Call RBM ask for Sabrina. She will explain it you in full detail if you wish to call.

Bottom line, dealing with aftermarket you run the risk of not getting covered for expensive repairs. It's not clear cut, and you may be lucky, maybe not. It's too much of a gamble after paying thousands for a warranty. It makes a difference as to what car you have to. Like the guy mentioned, for Airmatic with WD they denied his claim. It happens more than you know.

It's not an argument. It's not a beatdown on WD. It's to inform people on what we have experienced with aftermarket warranties. Plain and simple.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 AM

2017 E300W
Like the guy mentioned, for Airmatic with WD they denied his claim.
Actually, the OP said he had the Mercury Platinum Warranty. In the end, it's whatever plan at some price point that works for each owner.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:56 AM

E500
I purchased the Platinum Warranty from Warranty Direct- Since im in Florida it is viewed as an insurance item so i could not negotiate the 3500.00 asking price- The dealer accepted the warranty no problem. The problem is the economy is in the crapper and these guys are looking for any excuse to deny the claims- They denied an airmatic failure, which other than the faulty radiators in the early cars is the most common issue in these vehicles. I think if you can get the MB warranty get it- if not put the money in an high yield savings account and repair as you go...thats my advice, take it or leave it...but i have been through the aftermarket warranty once and it will be my last time.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017
[quote=igolfchip;3122223]Hi Guys;

Here's my options:
$3500 cost

Covers most everything
Any dealership
$4100 cost

You're already spending upto 4 grands ... I'm pretty sure you can get MB extended warranty for this amount if not less. Why to go thru the after market hassle & deductibles ......
Old 10-26-2008, 09:10 AM

2006 E350
[QUOTE=007_e350;3127148]
Hi Guys;

You're already spending upto 4 grands ... I'm pretty sure you can get MB extended warranty for this amount if not less. Why to go thru the after market hassle & deductibles ......
Can you please expand on this? Didn't know that MB offers its own. Do you think I can get a $0 ded option?

Thanks!
Chip

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty: Dalimer Chrysler vs. Pentagon vs. 'Self Insure'