E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Alignment on lowered cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E 63 AMG S
Alignment on lowered cars

Any of you guys that have lowered their cars, and not adjusted the camber, do you have tire ware? Is there adjustment for camber? Is there a camber kit sold?
Old 10-25-2008, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by nikon
Any of you guys that have lowered their cars, and not adjusted the camber, do you have tire ware? Is there adjustment for camber? Is there a camber kit sold?
Yep, you will definitely get uneven and faster tire wear. I lowered mine as soon as I got it and I chew through tires like crazy. It's not that they completely wear out, it's that they wear uneven and the noise gets too loud for my liking. I normally toss them at 50% wear due to excessive noise. It comes with the territory if you're gonna run a staggered wheel setup with directional tires on a lowered car. You can run a non-directional tire which will allow for side to side rotation and that will help.

You can purchase a camber kit but I believe it's expensive. There is one member on here, that I'm sure will chime in, and I'll let him speak about the camber kit as he has first hand experience.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Yep, that would be me! :-)

I did purchase the kit, KMAC I think, cost about $300 and another $300 to install plus the alignment, but came out perfect. I just replaced my rears and hopefully they will wear out even now. The biggest issue besides the uneven quick wear is the noise, it is awful in a classy car like ours, that is why I opted for the kit. I believe that the expense was worth it, the amount of adjustment you get is fantastic, you can actually dial in positive camber if you wanted to.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:43 PM

E 63 AMG S
Originally Posted by tashakes
Yep, that would be me! :-)

I did purchase the kit, KMAC I think, cost about $300 and another $300 to install plus the alignment, but came out perfect. I just replaced my rears and hopefully they will wear out even now. The biggest issue besides the uneven quick wear is the noise, it is awful in a classy car like ours, that is why I opted for the kit. I believe that the expense was worth it, the amount of adjustment you get is fantastic, you can actually dial in positive camber if you wanted to.
Does the kit come for all four tires? Where did you get it from?
It's been a couple of weeks now since I got it lowered, but I can already hear the difference. My tires have another 40% tread left so I want to get the kit before the new tires.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Bought it off eBay, same company has them on their website but they are a bit more, just search mercedes rear camber kit. The kit is only for the rears. For the front, there is a couple of bolts that you buy from the dealer, it is called an alignment repair kit I think, they are like $4 each. They have a groove and gives you extra camber. We still needed to have extra camber so the shop filed away at the arms (or the part that the bolts go into) so that we could get the camber to be right. Try to get a good shop that is willing to think outside the box if you allow them to.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:24 AM

E 63 AMG S
Originally Posted by tashakes
Bought it off eBay, same company has them on their website but they are a bit more, just search mercedes rear camber kit. The kit is only for the rears. For the front, there is a couple of bolts that you buy from the dealer, it is called an alignment repair kit I think, they are like $4 each. They have a groove and gives you extra camber. We still needed to have extra camber so the shop filed away at the arms (or the part that the bolts go into) so that we could get the camber to be right. Try to get a good shop that is willing to think outside the box if you allow them to.
How far did you drop your car? Did you find out how many degrees more does it need after installing the new bolt from mercedes?