E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Strange rattling/clunking noise from front...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 GL450, '98 Wrangler
Strange rattling/clunking noise from front...

I noticed a clunking/rattling sound from the front suspension (I think on the drivers side) when I drive over bumps or when I break a little harder. Dropped off the car at the dealer last week. The tech said they could recreate the noise (which is always helpful ;-) and called me today to tell me that the car is "done" (after 5 days!). Apparently they replaced the upper control arm and ball joint. However, on the drive home I could still hear the noise - I even think now its more pronounced. Back to the dealer next week - who knows for how long this time... Does anybody have any ideas what the cause of this could be?
Thanks!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by desert-boater
I noticed a clunking/rattling sound from the front suspension (I think on the drivers side) when I drive over bumps or when I break a little harder. Dropped off the car at the dealer last week. The tech said they could recreate the noise (which is always helpful ;-) and called me today to tell me that the car is "done" (after 5 days!). Apparently they replaced the upper control arm and ball joint. However, on the drive home I could still hear the noise - I even think now its more pronounced. Back to the dealer next week - who knows for how long this time... Does anybody have any ideas what the cause of this could be?
Thanks!
Many of have had the same sound/issue. Always ends up being lower ball joint/thrust arm bushing.

Doesn't your dealer test drive after they repair? If you say it's louder now, they would've certainly heard it too, no?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 GL450, '98 Wrangler
They say they did test drive it... not sure how they could have missed it. So if many others have (had) this problem: has it been fixed once your lower ball joint/thrust arm bushings have been replaced?