E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Metallic noise at speeds of 40 and up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
Metallic noise at speeds of 40 and up

Has anyone noticed a sound coming from the right rear when moving at speeds above 40 mph?

I can hear a sound with the radio off that reminds me of a hard drive on it's last legs, kinda like the sound of a bearing without enough lubrication or a brake pad not releasing from the disc.

It gets louder the faster you go but not so loud that you could hear it above the radio.

Just wondering if anyone else has mentioned this or had it addressed by their dealer.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

YES!!!! However, I have an '03 CLK500 with the exact same noise. Sounds almost like 2 marbles being hit together. It comes from the right rear and is amazingly annoying. I usually have the radio on so I cannot hear it. I mentioned it to my dealer about 2 weeks after I got the car, and he claimed "not to hear it"...total BS in my book. I have a feeling it is the airbag brackets...I've heard of other cars' dashes that make those types of noises. It usually turns out to be the airbags. I'm going to see another dealer in a couple of weeks, so hopefully he can do something about it. Please, please try and see your dealer. Hopefully we can resolve it together. PM me or reply here. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2003, 11:09 PM

Mercedes C240X
Hello,

If it gets louder the faster you go, than it is the differential. I have an '01 C240 that emit this howling noise at around 62 mph.

The MB dealer shop foreman went for a test drive with me and he heard the noise and thought it was the differential. The dealer then replaced the differential with a new one. And sure enough, it was the differential that was making the noise, since I don't hear any more noises with the new differential. As far as I know, the dealer shipped the defective differential back to Germany for analysis....hmmmm...quality issue!

It was not uncommon for MB to have defective differentials, since the part is sourced form an outside supplier or third party vendor.

mrfu
Old 01-12-2003, 11:11 PM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
I've got a service appointment scheduled for Wednesday, I'll let you know what they say.

The sound is not rhythmic but continuous.

Sounds very much like something spinning is rubbing against another object.