Comments on the e500 mirrors and multi-contour seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 Sport
Comments on the e500 mirrors and multi-contour seats

Hello fellow MB enthusiasts,

Just picked up my fully loaded alabaster white E500 Sport and I am very pleased with the car. That V8 takes some getting used to! And the Panoramic sunroof is worth every penny...

While everything seems to work great, I have to say the the only thing I dont like about the car are the side mirrors. Is it me or are those things way too small for a car of this size? The mirrors on my Audi A4 are 50% bigger!

I could not seem to get a good view from the driver or passenger side and they seem to have giant blind spots. I find myself looking over my shoulder all the time, which makes driving on a highway quite a chore. Not much can be done about mirrors at this point but I hope they change them in future models...

Also, I feel Multi-Contour seats are a useless option. The adjustments are very miniscule and unless you are driving your car in your undergarments, you probably wont feel them...

By the way I want to thank everyone on this forum as your posts have really helped me with selecting the car and getting a good deal!
Old 01-13-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Re: Comments on the e500 mirrors and multi-contour seats

Originally posted by Ed Etkin
Hello fellow MB enthusiasts,

Just picked up my fully loaded alabaster white E500 Sport and I am very pleased with the car. That V8 takes some getting used to! And the Panoramic sunroof is worth every penny...

While everything seems to work great, I have to say the the only thing I dont like about the car are the side mirrors. Is it me or are those things way too small for a car of this size? The mirrors on my Audi A4 are 50% bigger!

I could not seem to get a good view from the driver or passenger side and they seem to have giant blind spots. I find myself looking over my shoulder all the time, which makes driving on a highway quite a chore. Not much can be done about mirrors at this point but I hope they change them in future models...

Also, I feel Multi-Contour seats are a useless option. The adjustments are very miniscule and unless you are driving your car in your undergarments, you probably wont feel them...

By the way I want to thank everyone on this forum as your posts have really helped me with selecting the car and getting a good deal!
I agree with you regarding the mirrors - I found a comfortable position now - which is very outward (towards the lane) you can barely see the side of your car though which is bad for like getting out of the garage but i did this for the driver's mirror and left the passenger side a bit closer to the body so I can see the corner when leaving the garage. Regarding the Multi-Contour seats, I also agree so I didn't order them.. I really wanted Drive Dynamic but I used up all my money on the rest of my options.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:54 PM

2000 audq a6
100% agree with u-
i have the sport- one of the things that normally come with sport packages on other vehicle are larger side view mirrors-
very dissapointed...
Old 01-13-2003, 07:17 PM

2003 E500
I understand the questions about getting a good position - when I first did my test drives it was something of a problem, but when I took delivery I was able to get a good seating position after a little playing with the controls, running the seat all the way forward, up, down, etc and trying each major variant.

As to the mirrors, I find I have good coverage, though I once wrote in this forum that it did feel like the B pillar was further 'out' from my position than my prior car (maxima). Must have been my seating position.

The one thing I do note these days, after 10 days with the car, is that the rear view mirror has really good edge-to-edge coverage - the entire rear window is spanned by the mirror. My initial impression was that the mirror obstructed my view toward my forward 2 o'clock position, but I guess I've gotten used to it.

The 406 multicontour seats, as a number of unhappy customers have noted, are a waste of money, but the heated seats do a great job in the subfreezing weather we've been having around New York.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:35 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Mirrors

Anyone use "Autobahn mirrors" ? Look sorta cheezy to me but I see them marketed. I use two big convex stick on mirrors on the outside of my Suburban- As you may imagine it has blind spots. These would really look cruddy on the E.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Check this out. I haven't tried the settings they talk about so can't say if it works or not. It makes sense but have to try it to see if it does remove blind spot.

http://www.shedrives.com/scholar.asp...S&scholar=2300
Old 01-14-2003, 10:38 PM

2003 E500
I can relate to the too small rearview mirrors!! After 2-1/2 months I am STILL not used to the blind spots. I have driven BMW's for the past 29 years and just came out of a 2000 740i which had huge mirrors. My wife's 1999 CLK Convertible has small mirrors also, but I just thought it was because it was a convertible and the top itself is a blindspot!!! Plus I don't drive it that often anyway. I think they are dangerous, I really feel like I'm missing something every time I'm in the car. Are ALL MB mirrors this small??

Also, thanks for letting me know that the Dynamic Drive seats aren't THAT great. I was having buyers remorse over not ordering them (my dealer thought that the Active Ventilated seats that I ordered came with Multi Contour seatbacks like in the S Class).

Finally, does anyone find that the seats don't provide enough adjustibility to be real confortable?? I can't get enough front tilt to suit me. Again, my BMW 740 provided every possible adjustment.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:32 AM

2013 S550
While the seats are more comfortable than in the 2002 E (to me), they are not really great. I dramatically changed the adjustment I had been using, and now after a couple of weeks I think I like the new one better. I do think that the seat bottom could be deeper, and that might be enough. You may be correct about needing more tilt, though.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:09 AM

2000 audq a6
I agree 100%.
a. The seats need more tilt- and more depth. They become very uncomforatbel after 70 miles.

b. the rearview and sideview mirrors are the exact size of my wifes audi 2001 a4.

The seats and mirror should not be in a 60k car.

unfortunately this is not something that can be fixed or adjusted in mb service.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:08 AM

E500 Sport
More Mirror Headaches

I have the Harman Kardon audio system in the car and another annoying thing I noticed is that there are two small speakers right where each a-pillar meet the dash. On the passanger side, those speakers obscure a further 25% of the passanger side mirror...

I was hoping I'd get used to this but its damn hard not to have a good field of vision when you are used to it...
Old 01-15-2003, 12:47 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I had the same problem with the mirrors but was able to improve things by buying convex glass for the driver's side mirror. I don't know if your dealer can get the convex replacement since it is a not offered in the US. I bought mine at a dealer in Sindelfingen at the time I picked up an E500 in September. The cost was about 200 Euro.