E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How do E500s compare to BMW 550s ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somethings better left unsaid ...
Originally Posted by 220S
afaik, you can't export from the US to elsewhere. In fact, when I bought my MB, I had to sign a form that I could not ship my car overseas.

Only if the car is a certain age and certain mileage can you export.

ps., "Gulf Spec?" I'd think that living in the US deserts would be similar. Palm Springs in the Mojave is super hot as is parts of the Sonoran desert in Arizona. And Las Vegas, etc.. In fact, the Mojave is where car mfg test cars.
you're saying there's no actual difference between cars made for the US and those made for the middle east? in terms of components parts or assembly or whatever is it they clame they make differently ? coz if so, I think there are ways to get around the shipping-prohebition issue, since car shops here (different than car dealerships) ship new (zero milage) cars from America all the time. I once bought an imported E class from america but I wasn't the first owner so I'm not sure what changes were made to it when it first came.. what I'm trying to say is they DO get shipped and I know it and they ARE cheaper from what I hear from you guys so if there aren't that much differences or even there is, but can be fixed or tweaked .. then it would be great !
Old 12-10-2008, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Body, drivetrain, most components are the same. Software, etc. can be different. In the US, safety (DOT) and environmental (EPA) rules require certain changes in body and motor, exhaust, etc., Some models are not available in all geographic regions. Options are not the same in all geographic regions.

New cars that are sold outside of dealerships are gray market cars. In the US, it's difficult to impossible to legally register a gray market car (difficulty depends on the State one lives in, of course.)

Gray market exists with just about all commodities. Manufacturers try to control gray market activity (in order to control global pricing and sales) through warranties, official dealer networks, authorized sellers, etc..