E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'09 E350 - 7 or 5 speed trany?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
The Pano is definitely a personal thing (like everything else, too, of course.) But just for the record, the most popular combo (think: resale) is white with the black pano. Mine has Pano, didn't think I'd want it, but now really like it. Rear passengers love it; lets in a lot of nice light into the cabin.

The thing about options is we figure we'll save by saying no, but then that money is going to get spent one way or another anyway (think: lattes for a year at Starbucks) and we might as well have a nice car that we really like. Especially if one is planning on keeping the thing for a while. Anyway, just mho....

Stick with the Contis over the P6. I've had the P6 and I think they are horrible (come as OEM on many Volvos.) PS2 are the cat's meow but not if you live any place where the temp gets below 40 F. In the cold they get hard as a rock and the compound ends up like a stiff, slick plastic. I live in LA and so I always run max performance summer tires. In addition, the PS2 are only good for about 20K-25K (and that's only if you are behaving.) And remember, no rotation with the staggered wheels on the sport RWD. PS2 are around $320 each for rear and $285 each for front.

But the PS2 are a great match for this suspension as it turns out (luckily for me; tires can be hit or miss: sometimes good on one car but no so much on another.) My suggestion would be to run the Contis for now and think about replacements for next summer.

It's not that the steering is that much lighter than the 4M, it's more that MB steering is just plain numb. At least in these models. But not many cars, of course, really can touch a BMW or P-car in that department. On the other hand, it's nice in dense urban driving and you don't have to wring your wrists too much; the steering is variable and gets better at speed, but it's still over boosted. Always a compromise.

Get it with leather if you can find one. It's truly bizarre that these things don't come with leather standard. MBTex might last longer (although with good leather maintenance I'd argue otherwise) but vinyl is really no fun in the heat of summer, imho.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by 220S

It's not that the steering is that much lighter than the 4M, it's more that MB steering is just plain numb. At least in these models. But not many cars, of course, really can touch a BMW or P-car in that department. On the other hand, it's nice in dense urban driving and you don't have to wring your wrists too much; the steering is variable and gets better at speed, but it's still over boosted. Always a compromise.
The overboosted steering didn't seem to be added until 2007. My car (2005) drives much different than a 2007+. I think both drive well, but are different.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I lt the steering on my '04 felt a bit "thick" & the '07s steering to be more responsive, not overboosted.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beartrap
Thanks. It turns out my dealer got a delivery last night of the RWD car I want so I went down today and will get it for the weekend. They did not know it was coming to them! I had the option to get a pano roof car but opted against it as I did not like how it looks on a white car, plus why pay another $1k more! Its a personal taste thing.

I'm looking forward to the driving this car vs the 4M I've been in. I know the steering is lighter than with the 4M but the performance is what was lacking the most. This car does have the ContiPro Contact tires on in which I dont like. I notice some had the Pirelli P6 tires. I could ask to have the switched but not sure if one is better than the other. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I hate to have to buy new tires for abrand new car! How much were the Michelin PS2 tires? Anyting suggesitons for the Contis as take offs?
If you are leasing should the price be not nearly the same ($2 per month?). The Panorama roof is great, I highly reccomend it.