E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

You all won't believe this one...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You all won't believe this one...

Murphy's Law...

So, my service saga continues, so I'll review and start from the beginning.

I took my brand new E500 in last week Thursday for service - getting the Drive Dynamics looked at because driver side has lumbar inflating rather than bolsters (passenger side works fine) and installing my wood steering wheel (charcoal/black birdseye to match the sport package) that was ordered and due in on the day before.

I bring it in - no steering wheel. The part was ordered because it showed as available in the warehouse, but they were wrong. They immediately ordered it from Baltimore, and I made another appointment for Monday.

Brought it in Monday, dropped it off and got the famous C-class loaner (previous thread). Was called this morning to come pick it up, so I drive over there to do so.

Get to my car after paying for the installation, and see through the window that this couldn't possibly be my car because the steering wheel has BURL WALNUT WOOD!!! I open the door, sure enough, the rest of the Sport package car with black birdseye maple trim is now equipped with a brown steering wheel. I go back to my service advisor and give him the good news. Apparently yesterday, they noticed the wheel was brown and were told to put the correct one in, but...

Now I have an '02 E320 (won't comment on it nor compare to my E500 lest I be flamed to bitter death by those who own an E320 or simply don't agree with my individual opinion) loaner and will perhaps finally pick up my car with the correct steering wheel installed - a liberal political ***** once said 'it takes a village' - she must have also tried to have a steering wheel installed in an E-class at MB service.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
LOL...:p :p

Beware of Jim Banvilles buddies from the C-240 board.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:48 PM

2003 CLK 320
schvetkaaks
I would like to hear the what your opinion was of the 2002 e 320.
That is what make this forum interesting everyone has a different opinion.
compare!!! compare!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by britton
schvetkaaks
I would like to hear the what your opinion was of the 2002 e 320.
That is what make this forum interesting everyone has a different opinion.
compare!!! compare!!!
Fine. If any of you flame me, kiss my ...

Considering that I am comparing an E320 to the much more powerful E500, the power was sufficient, but lacking from what my 500 can do. The interior was the thing I most noticed, as the previous E-class has a classic Mercedes interior, with flat seating surfaces, big, old-looking buttons, and just general blahness. The new E is very exciting on the interior and is incredibly well designed. I could swap the interior of an '85 S class with that of the '02 E class - it has that much of a 'dated' look to it. The materials are not as good as the W211 either, most particularly the leather trim.

The suspension is bouncy, with no settings like the airmatic has, so it made me appreciate the airmatic quite a bit, and the control I have with it. The 'feel' other than the bouncy suspension was quite similar - similar in weight and ride quality. Size looks the same inside, looks larger outside. There's no comparison to me with the exterior - one is very boxy with rounded edges, the other is more angular and muscular. All in all, I would say Mercedes has made a tremendous improvement in the W211 - the most I've seen in a car line in recent memory, so I don't know what the idiot car magazine journalists were talking about when they said it wasn't that much changed...wha???
Old 01-14-2003, 06:25 PM

2003 CLK 320
Thank you for your opinion of the two since you where able to drive both cars.
This is just his conclusion and I am sure we will hear from others. I hope so thats what the forum is for to give our view even if some dont agree.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Any opinions is biased

I think that MB engineers worked hard to make E class better. So everyone should expect some improvements. How dramatically these improvements it's difficult to say for me. I can admit that new E has contemporary design as in interior as in exterior. If old E can be confused with some Japanese brands from behind then new one has no analogs. However, some things I like more in old one. Anyway, all Mercedes are so beautiful, so it's difficult to resist to own both models. Actually I'm not alone and you can notice that many people keep old E with new. At least if you have money factor preventing you from buying a new one, then buy old one without hesitation and you won't regret.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Dude!

TF,

I had NO idea what you were going through! I have been negligent in not emailing you this week, sorry.

OMG, did they *really* put in a burl walnut steering wheel?!?!?! Is your service advisor Eddie?

I whole-heartedly agree to your comparisons of the 02 to 03 E class (I had an E320 loaner when I had the dreaded dual malfunction). I would add that the driver's seat felt as though an elephant had worn the springs down, and the steering wheel and dash switches were a much more mechanical "rocker" type switch. Same in the 03, but at least they're covered with a membrane which gives it a lot less "switch-flipping" feel to it.

I can hardly wait <EDJ rubbing his hands together with glee> to read the C-class thread you posted, LMAO!

EDJ