E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bi-Xenon Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
Bi-Xenon Headlight Question

Can a Bi-Xenon headlight with active cornering be used on a w211 that has only bi-xenon w/o cornering? Will it still plug in all the same? Will the auto leveling feature still work? Reason why i ask is because i had to replace my Right headlight for asthetic reasons, and now after looking at the lights.. my right and left are different. My old Left headlight has the projector and shroud a little forward of the chrome housing, and the housing for the turn signal is clear chrome. The new light i got for the RIght side has the projector and shroud completely recessed flush behind the chrome, and the turn signal has small lines on the chrome housing, like the low beam section. I was wondering if maybe i got an active cornering light by mistake? I don't know if they are asthetically any different so I'm not sure. I don't have any errors, and they both work fine. Now though, the new Right headlight has a delay in auto leveling, so the left light moves down prior to igniting, then moves up after turning on. The right moves down after turning on, then moves back up. So visibly you can see the delay. I think before they moved all at once.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Yes they Should move the same on start up..But since they are NOT the same and No Error leave it alone unless you want them to match

The Active feature will only work if the car is version coded for active headlights

The Active Xenon projector is behind the housing where the NON active sits further forward
Old 12-12-2008, 06:15 PM

2003 e320
So if i get a bi-xenon light with active for the other side, then they should both work even if i don't activate the active cornering, and then they should "look" the same and start up the same time on start up for auto leveling? I like the way the active lights look better than the non, just a little "cleaner" looking inside i guess. Also, since they would both be Active lights if i changed the Left side, all i would have to do is get the dealer to activate it if i wanted them to corner?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by nikkatine
So if i get a bi-xenon light with active for the other side, then they should both work even if i don't activate the active cornering, and then they should "look" the same and start up the same time on start up for auto leveling? I like the way the active lights look better than the non, just a little "cleaner" looking inside i guess. Also, since they would both be Active lights if i changed the Left side, all i would have to do is get the dealer to activate it if i wanted them to corner?
Yes they would start up the same (IF) matched set Xenon - active

It will take more work to make them active if the car was not fitted with active headlights
as the Active headlights need a signal from the steering angle sensor...
Im Sure the dealer will say it cannot be done..It can
Old 12-12-2008, 07:07 PM

2003 e320
Thanks for all the info. I'll just get the other one just so they match up and look the same... now i'll have 2 extra non active lights... So no harm will be done if the active lights are used even though there is no signal for the active cornering right?