E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

AMG Quad Exhausts on!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:09 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
AMG Quad Exhausts on!

Found a pair of new unused AMG E-class mufflers with the tips and just had them installed yesterday.
Sound is a bit "throatier" at low rpm but is quite stock sounding at high RPM!.
Bumper needed a bit of trimming, though.
Camera phone..sorry...
Attached Thumbnails AMG Quad Exhausts on!-img00048-20090109-1323.jpg   AMG Quad Exhausts on!-img00050-20090109-1323.jpg  

Last edited by ap10046; 01-09-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E
wow looks awesome!
do you mind telling me how much you got the exhaust for?
and where from?
plus how much for the install?
thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 05:27 AM

CLS500 M113
Ok, don't hate me...$1,100 for the exhausts and almost nothing but a whole lotta friends and goodwill to install!
Thank you for the comments, your car is gorgeous!!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 500 4matic, MINI John Cooper Works
What did you use (or your friends use) to modify the rear bumper? - I'm really eager to do a similar install but am hesitant to start cutting and pasting the bumper = I fear a visit from Murphy -

I can get the exhaust pipe resolved as my local muffler shop has an almost identical set up but it would neccissitate trimming the bumper or they'd be too low and look all wrong - Thanks it really looks nice -

Steve
Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 AM

CLS500 M113
Hi Steve, let me try and remember what we did.

We tried mounting the exhaust without removing the bumper, and we probably could have but they may have pointed down a bit and I do mean by just a few inches.
We took off the bumper and mounted one muffler, now getting them to align was the real problem. The ground was uneven so we couldn't really measure the exhaust height from there, so we used the bottom edge of the tail light and measured 14.5" down on both sides to get them aligned at the right height.
For in-out measurements, to make sure they were both the right length we used the center of the rear wheels to the exhaust tip..42", I think.

Now for the bumper..the cutouts that are supplied with the kit are very vague and frankly, I was a bit skeptical cutting out the huge chunk that they had suggested, so we came up with this..
Measure the exhaust position in relation to the bumper support bar and mark out the same on the back side of the bumper, marking out the width and height of the tips helps and you will see the cutout is very shallow. Start the cutting very shallow and conservatively and you can always cut/file more as you go.

Not difficult, but it was labor intensive..took us about 4 hours..hope this helps. If you want I can give you the height and width of the cutout to make it easier for you?
Areez
Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the update - I think I'll have to pass - too much work for me as much as I like the look of the tips -

Obsessing over it due to the chilly weather we're having - in a few weeks I'll be riding my motorcycles and forget all about them "tips"

Thanks, they do look great and I'm sure sound even better

Steve
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 PM

CLS500 M113
Steve,
try Performance parts they have "actual tips"..as in the outlets are actually at the tips and not a straight through dummy design. They are more expensive than the regular bolt on quad tips, though ($350??) and look quite like the actual AMG tips..
Areez
For the sound i will try and get you a sound clip, at idle they are bassy but really not too much of a difference, at least from the cab, when you accelerate.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 AM

05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by ap10046
Sound is a bit "throatier" at low rpm but is quite stock sounding at high RPM!.
I installed an E55 system and replaced the stock resonator with an x-pipe several weeks ago after removing Magnaflows. Paid just over $600 plus x-pipe cost... Wasn't impressed with the sound so decided to open up the muffs and remove the steel wool packing and fiberglass matt from the perforated metal pipe baffles... The results are at idle and cruise, it's basically stock... When I'm accelerating normally, the sound is better than stock but mellow... When I'm on it, the sound is alot sportier, but not loud nor obtrusive inside the car... No drone at all at any speed, which is nice... You may like it this way, kind of the best of both worlds...

If you want it more aggressive at idle, accel and WOT, in addition to removing the steel wool packing and fiberglass matts, cut the metal baffles out and the S-pipe and make the insides a straight through muffler... That results in a noticeably throatier idle, accel and WOT and it's pretty aggressive but not over the top nor obnoxious... There is a sound clip available from an E55 owner who completely gutted his mufflers and it sounds very good IMHO...

I did the muffs several weeks ago and intially they were OK sounding but I thought I wanted more... They seem to have gotten a tad sportier though over the last few weeks which I can't explain to be honest...
Old 01-13-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ap10046
Steve,
try Performance parts they have "actual tips"..as in the outlets are actually at the tips and not a straight through dummy design. They are more expensive than the regular bolt on quad tips, though ($350??) and look quite like the actual AMG tips..
Areez
For the sound i will try and get you a sound clip, at idle they are bassy but really not too much of a difference, at least from the cab, when you accelerate.
Areez, thanks for the info - I've checked out Performance Parts and they state their tips do fit the 500 4matic - will order a set - I have a capable guy to put them on thanks

Steve