E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Winter driving setting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Winter driving setting

It is snowing here and I set the S/W selector to W (talking about an E320). On a couple of occasions I noticed slight hesitation from engine or transmission when driving off from stationary position. From what I read, W mode prohibits the use of 1st gear. My questions are:
1. Has anyone had similar experience?
2. Does driving without 1st gear put too much stress on the engine and therefore is harmful?
3. Is it possible for the car to stall? E.g., in case of a manual shift and small engine (1.5L or less), one must use 1st gear to drive off from stationary position, or the engine stalls.

Thank you!
Old 01-19-2003, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
That's normal

W mode does just what you said.

It starts you off in 2nd gear for both forward and reverse (special 2nd gear for reverse in this A/T)

This combined with Traction Control will create a very weak start or hesitation when launching.

It is designed to avoid high torque at the wheels and should not cause any harm to your engine or trans. Heat is the most destructive factor in trans wear and in those conditions, heat is a minimal issue.

If you were driving a manual you would certainly put more wear on the clutch plate this way but with an auto you're just spinning what is basically a fan submerged in oil.

The oil's viscosity is used to accelerate the drivetrain and so you're not wearing anything abnormally.

The process does generate heat but for the extent that you accelerate in this mode it is trivial and is also dissipated more quickly in a cold environment.