E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

one-touch sunroof weird closing behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2003 | 01:08 PM

2003 E500
one-touch sunroof weird closing behavior

hi gang,

got a one-touch question. I have the conventional non-panorama roof. Like virtually every other glass surface in the car it has one touch open and one touch close with safety features to prevent the panel from removing digits or other body parts.

So I rock the switch back full and release, and the roof slides open fully by itself. Rock it forward and release, the roof closes.

Here's where it gets tricky

Rock it UP and it opens fully, but when I rock the switch DOWN, the roof closes-opens. try again, closes-opens. Push the switch *forward* the same way you'd close the 'slide open', and it again closes-opens.

If, however, I rock down and hold, or push forward and hold, the roof closes normally.

So, do we think we have a misadjustment here? If the roof were 'sticking' as it closed, I could see where the safety feature would pop it open again. However I would *also* expect that safety to be triggered when I *held* the switch. After all, the car safety gods wouldn't want one kid to *deliberately* chop the head off another kid while sitting in the car right? (not that I have any).

Comments?

I have not tried testing the safety on the windows while simultaneously holding the switch, but I have tried on the one-touch window (click-release) and at least the drivers' side safety functions - put your hand or something in the path, the window hits resistance and it backs open a bit and then stops.
Old 01-19-2003 | 06:50 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
your sunroof may have a synchronization problem. It happens when something is stuck during the sunroof operation, and won't allow you to clse the roof. You should follow the manual, push up and hold the sunroof button for a few seconds so the sunroof tilt up. If you hold the button for a few seconds it will re-synchronize and you can one-touch close again.
Old 01-19-2003 | 09:22 PM

2000 E class, 2001 BMW 3 series
yeah.. u got to get it synchronice.

A quick q: I have a pano roof... it is damaging if we open close the sunroof every single day?... just curious... my younger brothers have itchy hands of playing with them the moment they are in the car
Old 01-21-2003 | 10:48 AM

2021 GLE 450
I had a similar problem in that the sunroof would open a little and then stop while I was trying to open it. I had to let go of switch and keep on doing this to open sunroof.

Synchronize the sunroof by raising the sunroof completely and holding raise button for one second (according to manual). That fixed the problem.