E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Front Air Baffle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front Air Baffle

Hi guys, I have been a member for quite a while but for some reason the site would not let me post, that is now fixed thanks to one of the moderators.

I have a problem that I need some advice on with my W211. I have a 03 sport with the pano roof and parktronic. A few weeks ago I noticed that when I started the car in the morning I could hear a noise about eveyr minute or so that sounded like the front cooling fan was nicking something, this would make the noise for a few seconds and then stop, then after a minute or so it would do it again, over and over etc. I took it in and had MB check it out and they told me there is a flap that opens and closes in the front end and that it was broke and hitting the fan when it would open and close, they said it needed to be replaced. I told them I would bring it in the following week to have it done since I had purchased an extended warrenty through them. The service writer told me she wasn't sure it would be covered but would check. I dropped the car off Tuesday morning and picked it up that evening. When I got the paper work I read through the work performed and this is what it said.

"C/S when vehicle is at idle sounds like a fan is rubbing. Check and Advise."
UCC Warranty
"Performed checkfound air baffle for ft bumper noisy. Cant get part. Need to reprogram and perform wire repair.
Performed wire repair and recoded car. No noise after repair. Left Air Baffle in the open position"

Part# 211-505-07-30 Air Baffle $43.50
labor $332.50

Now I asked the service writer what this means and she said the part to be replaced is no longer available from MB and that MB suggests just leaving the baffle in the open position, according to some service bulletin MB put out. I think this is BS myself and told her as much. The car is 5 years old, I find it hard to believe that 1) MB had discontinued the part and 2) MB simply says to leave it in the open position and disconnect the wire.

What is this baffle for, why does it open and close? MB engineers designed this part on the car for a reason, now all of a sudden its not needed? It makes sense to me that in the cold mornings it would stay closed until the car is warm to help with the heat inside the car? Since my car has the ability to keep the car warm for 30 minutes after turning off the car, wouldn't leaving this door open cool the car faster so my nice option no longer works as well as it used to?

Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Huntnphool
What is this baffle for, why does it open and close? MB engineers designed this part on the car for a reason, now all of a sudden its not needed?
DTB P-B-20.20/33 JAN06 2003-04 211.065 (e320) Air management control system (AMCS) noisy when shutters are regulating the airflow, this is due to the lubricant for the shutter guides having been washed out, to resolve remove AMCS and actuator motor and code front SAM using DAS.

Note air baffle 2115050730 replaces original 2115000116 (see attachment).

I cannot give a definitive answer as to why MB decided to remove this feature seems to me the shutters could have been adequately maintained with cleaning/lubrication.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
radiator_blinds.pdf (167.0 KB, 1672 views)
Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for your reply. Does this mean its not needed and I should just leave it as is?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Huntnphool
Thank you for your reply. Does this mean its not needed and I should just leave it as is?
You can either leave it as is or request they follow the DTB procedure recommending removal. Either way, question the labor cost this should have been a goodwill repair because MBUSA acknowledges the part malfunctions and mandates deactivation/removal with no replacement. Speak with the service manager if denied, request contact information for the local MBUSA rep and request approval. PM your email address and I will forward a copy of the DTB to support your claim.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
Sound like his extended warranty covered it.....
Old 01-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by MB211
Sound like his extended warranty covered it.....
You are right; I failed to reread the original post before replying. Another rape story - they charge the warranty for full repair and fail to fulfill the repair requirements.