E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2006 E350 Luxury vs Sport (Suspension)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009 | 01:05 AM

06 E350
2006 E350 Luxury vs Sport (Suspension)

I have a 2006 E350. I put on 18" E63 wheels, and it almost seems as if my car is now higher

I want to lower it, but I don't wan to ruin the ride. Everytime I see a E350 sport pass by (07+) I notice it's lower than my car (I have a 06 Luxury).

Why is the sport lower? Is it just springs? Are the shocks different as well?

Would I just need to get the stock shocks and springs from a sport?

What would you guys recommend to lower the car about an inch or inch and a half?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009 | 01:29 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
[quote=alexsynn;3344160]I have a 2006 E350. I put on 18" E63 wheels, and it almost seems as if my car is now higher

I want to lower it, but I don't wan to ruin the ride. Everytime I see a E350 sport pass by (07+) I notice it's lower than my car (I have a 06 Luxury).

Why is the sport lower? Is it just springs? Are the shocks different as well?

Would I just need to get the stock shocks and springs from a sport?

What would you guys recommend to lower the car about an inch or inch and a half?

The SPORT suspensions with the AMG packages on recent Mer cars 08+ are tuned similar to the AMG suspension..

that is , the shocks , and springs or air suspension on equipped models is about 30% stiffer than the luxury models on full DC 2 setting
sport is also lowered by 15mm and have larger wheels 18"
that are 9 inches in rear instead of 8.5 and lower profile 35 series tires

if you put 18" wheels on your car that came with 17" and did not goto a lower profile tire, ie from a 40 to a 35 for example, than you car would be slightly taller.. but the distance from rim to car fender would or should be less.. there are really too many variables possible without you being ore specific..

if you also put lower profile tires on like the ones the AMG or sport ones have, ie a 40 in rear to a 35, then you would have more of a gap in the wheel well
distance of about 12mm or 1/2 inch. which would give the illusion your car was higher or taller,, but would really be just the gap between carbody and tire..

suffice to say, sport models have stiffer springs, shocks, larger tires , and wheels,, slightly revised steering,,etc.

if you want you car to be like the factory sport models,,
you would need to get stiffer springs that would lower your car 1 inch,,
and stiffer sport shocks, as well

the will both lower you cars overall height, and the wheel well GAP or distance between the tire and the car body wheel well, to make you car look lower..

if you dont want to ruin the ride,, you can get modestly stiffer springs,,
like bilstein, and adjustable shocks,, set to medium that should actually make you car ride alot better..

or to go the cheap route, you could put tall aspect tires on the car, say 45 front and 45 rear and it would apprear that your car is lower by about 1/2 inch.
even though it was not as the wheel well gap is reduced..

Last edited by storm; 02-11-2009 at 01:34 AM.