E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

WTB: W211 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
WTB: W211 E55

My W208 CLK 430 was totalled yesterday due to a drive who hydroplaned into me on the 10 FWY and the Mrs. wants me to upgrade to a car that is "car-seat friendly." After some consideration, a W211 would make an excellent candidate and still provide the necessary power on demand that I look for in my automobiles. I have began searching the market and have found some good deals to be had. Not knowing the model specifically, I have heard about supercharger squeak and bearing issues on the pulley. Is there anything else I should be aware of or model years I should avoid? I was looking at 03-06 model years and want to buy in the $23-25K range with mileage no higher than around 60-65K miles. Any prospective sellers out there, please hit me up. Looking to acquire something within a month. Thanks in advance!

Blake
Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by bbearden
My W208 CLK 430 was totalled yesterday due to a drive who hydroplaned into me on the 10 FWY and the Mrs. wants me to upgrade to a car that is "car-seat friendly." After some consideration, a W211 would make an excellent candidate and still provide the necessary power on demand that I look for in my automobiles. I have began searching the market and have found some good deals to be had. Not knowing the model specifically, I have heard about supercharger squeak and bearing issues on the pulley. Is there anything else I should be aware of or model years I should avoid? I was looking at 03-06 model years and want to buy in the $23-25K range with mileage no higher than around 60-65K miles. Any prospective sellers out there, please hit me up. Looking to acquire something within a month. Thanks in advance!

Blake
I'd stay away from the 03's, just my opinion.

They're great cars. Coming from a CLK430 I would definitely get at least a E500. When I was looking for an E, it was hard finding one with all the options I wanted so just always keep a look out everyday online.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Arrow

Originally Posted by gaazmon
I'd stay away from the 03's, just my opinion...
While the 2003s are OK, they are missing a few things:

1) Navigation. This may not be a big deal for some, but it's worth mentioning.

2) Auxiliary oil cooler. This is a 2004-up standard equipment piece. If you do get a 2003, it might be worth adding.

With any W211 E55, you MUST REPLACE THE CHARGE COOLER PUMP, otherwise known as the intercooler pump. Even new units can fail without warning and leave you without a functional supercharger.

The good news is that the fix is cheap, all things considered. A Johnson Pump (model CM030) wired into the factory circuit has proven to be a reliable upgrade.

There are quite a few cars available these days, especially after residual values have plummeted. Look around for a well-maintained example, regardless of miles.

Last word of advice: if available, PURCHASE AN AFTERMARKET WARRANTY.

Even though the price of entry may seem reasonable, remember that this is still a 90-thousand dollar car - and replacement parts still reflect that fact.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any Qs I love my E55....modded examples can easily destroy true "sports" cars in a straight line, while receiving a heated back and butt massage. Member "Tracshun" ran 11.41@119 with nothing more than a pulley, heat exchanger, and a tune.

These cars are animals.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
560SL, E500
Hey Blake,

DO YOUR RESEARCH. That's the best advice I can give you.

Before you buy the vehicle check out its CarFax report, have an MB Mechanic inspect it, and just like ChicagoX said, PURCHASE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY if you go ahead with the purchase.

I have an 03 E500 and I was either blessed by the Gods or was extremely lucky, as I've had NO issues with the car whatsoever (or maybe it's that I did all the things I mentioned above). Not to mention I take it in for service religiously at MB of Chicago.

I have a GREAT Extended Warranty (just in case) with bumper-to-bumper coverage and a $100 deductible; yes, it was almost $3k, but the peace of mind it provides (just in case) is priceless

The money I saved in the purchase has been invested right back into the car - Euro COMAND with NAV and DVD in motion, Sirius Satellite radio, OEM MB Bluetooth, new Rims and Pirellis, 07-08 front bumper conversion, Carbon-Fiber lip...

DO YOUR HOMEWORK and you can find yourself a NICE W211 and best of all save THOUSANDS of dollars.

Let someone else pay for the initial depreciation...
" New Car Smell " is highly overrated, SPECIALLY if you prefer the smell of all the $ you save!
Attached Thumbnails WTB: W211 E55-500nf.jpg  
Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by Chicago_Buckeye
" New Car Smell " is highly overrated, SPECIALLY if you prefer the smell of all the $ you save!
I agree 100%. Rather have a nicer few years old car, than an ok brand new car.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E320
The only problem you will face is finding an E55 (Even a 2003 model) for ~$25K
I believe a well equiped and well kept E55 will easily set you back in mid $30Ks range.
But if you keep an eye out, you never know what type of deal you could find.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by Chicago_Buckeye
Hey Blake,

DO YOUR RESEARCH. That's the best advice I can give you.

Before you buy the vehicle check out its CarFax report, have an MB Mechanic inspect it, and just like ChicagoX said, PURCHASE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY if you go ahead with the purchase.

I have an 03 E500 and I was either blessed by the Gods or was extremely lucky, as I've had NO issues with the car whatsoever (or maybe it's that I did all the things I mentioned above). Not to mention I take it in for service religiously at MB of Chicago.

I have a GREAT Extended Warranty (just in case) with bumper-to-bumper coverage and a $100 deductible; yes, it was almost $3k, but the peace of mind it provides (just in case) is priceless

The money I saved in the purchase has been invested right back into the car - Euro COMAND with NAV and DVD in motion, Sirius Satellite radio, OEM MB Bluetooth, new Rims and Pirellis, 07-08 front bumper conversion, Carbon-Fiber lip...

DO YOUR HOMEWORK and you can find yourself a NICE W211 and best of all save THOUSANDS of dollars.

ChicagoX: Could you let us know what extended warranty you have............I intend to get one also when my CPO Extended Warranty ends in Jan 2010 and I'd like to know which one you've had really good claims experience with and I'm also willing to pay around $3k like you. From what I've gleaned from this Forum in the past, most folks suggest Warranty Direct.
Thanks!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Thanks guys! Fully agree with you--go with a clean, well-kept used car and let the other sucker take the depreciation hit!

I have been doing a ton of digging into the W211 threads to get a feel for what the common issues are with 211 E55s. The '03s seem to have the radiator issue that can shell out the trans. The car I am looking at is an '03 and has the newer radiator and the trans was replaced with a new one about 15K miles ago (likely due to the radiator). In addition, the airmatic suspension was replaced under warranty. That seems to be the major issues that folks experience with these cars. I'm a DIYer so MAFs, plugs, intercooler pumps, brakes, CPS, brake sensors, etc are all things I am comfortable replacing. The extended warranty is with AAA and has 22K miles remaining (roughly 2 years of driving for me). Anyone know of any reputable shops in the Phoenix area? Am going to be looking at the car on Saturday and would like to know where I can set up an appointment to have it inspected. Thanks again! Looking forward to getting one of these beasts! I am building up a twin turbo 69 camaro right now but to have the kind of power these things throw down and still get all the creature comforts--I can't wait!