E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Any Caution for Lowering E320?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Drivers: 2019 Tesla Model 3+, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI, + a few non-street legal race cars
Any Caution for Lowering E320?

The H&R springs claim to lower a stock E320 by 1.5"/1.3" (F/R). Seems to me that this would place a lot of added wear on the front tires with the lower ride height in front. I'm also concerned that the lower height can place additional stress on the balljoints and control arms. Finally, assuming the camber remains the same, is there extra wear on the tires?

I haven't done this yet so I'm doing my research for now. Back when I was racing Porsches, we had serious problems with control arms breaking on the 951 (944 Turbos) once the ride height was lowered more than 1.5". Since the Mercedes is my daily driver and not a race car, I assume this isn't as much an issue, but at over 4,000lbs, it's probably seeing some stress too.

My car is a 2004 E320, basic suspension. 65K miles on it with all original ball joints. Will probably install new thrust arm bearings while I do the springs (if I do it). Wheels are 18" x 8.5" on 245/40 tires.
Right now the car sits on stock springs and looks like it's ready for a Monster Truck Jam!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
The car will be ok with the H/Rs

You will need the front lower control arm (repair bolts) from Mercedes to correct the Negative Camber for the front X4

Rear you will need adjustable camber bars...to center the Camber back

Do a search..LOTs of Info on Lowered W211s

LOL the 951s broke ball joints/control arms, All The 944s did. I have done my share of them when I worked for Porsche ...They came out with a Updated replacement for the problem
Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Drivers: 2019 Tesla Model 3+, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI, + a few non-street legal race cars
Thanks for the info. I'm rethinking the need to lower the car as it seems like a lot of expenditure for a cosmetic update on a daily driver/beater. I'm surprised that different camber bars are needed to bring it down such a small increment. Seems like I'm only bringing it to a stock height for the later E350's.

As for the 944/951 control arm replacement, are you referring to the aluminium encapsulated balljoints that were introduced later? I recall that a lot of club racers actually back dated their cars to the earlier steel ones... "steel bends, aluminium breaks". We ended up switching to control arms by Fabcar while we had an engineer in Atlanta develop tubular control arms.