Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
E3504matic vs CDI or Bluetec

I am looking for some guidance here.
Anybody had experience with both? I have a guy in the office interested in buying my 06 E3504matic. I have thought about buying a Diesel for the improved fuel mileage. My only experience with the diesels has been test driving a couple of CDI's which the only thing I didn't like was the slight diesel clatter at low speeds and a test ride in a '09 Bluetec which seemed pretty nice. What I am trying to figure out is what is the smart thing to do from a long term financial standpoint. I would be selling my nearly loaded '06 37k E3504matic with 2 yr extended Mercedes warranty for $24.5K. I went to our local car show last night and am thinking that I am making a mistake. Any input would be a appreciated. Are the improvements of the face lifted models noticeable from a driving experience standpoint? In particular do they feel noticeably solider? Mine has the 17 in wheels do the 16 in wheel diesel models ride particularly better?

Last edited by MBNUT1; 02-22-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Long term, the diesel is better, but if you need 4Matic get that. It's strictly a snow thing, of course.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I am looking for some guidance here.
Anybody had experience with both? I have a guy in the office interested in buying my 06 E3504matic. I have thought about buying a Diesel for the improved fuel mileage. My only experience with the diesels has been test driving a couple of CDI's which the only thing I didn't like was the slight diesel clatter at low speeds and a test ride in a '09 Bluetec which seemed pretty nice. What I am trying to figure out is what is the smart thing to do from a long term financial standpoint. I would be selling my nearly loaded '06 37k E3504matic with 2 yr extended Mercedes warranty for $24.5K. I went to our local car show last night and am thinking that I am making a mistake. Any input would be a appreciated. Are the improvements of the face lifted models noticeable from a driving experience standpoint? In particular do they feel noticeably solider? Mine has the 17 in wheels do the 16 in wheel diesel models ride particularly better?
The only downside of the diesel would be that Airmatic is not available, but otherwise I would go for a 2009 Bluetec unless you really need 4Matic.

The new Bluetecs are very quiet and the 7g transmission is the best thing to happen to the diesels since CDI. The fuel economy is great, they will last forever, the torque puts even the 550 to shame, and it will retain it's value extremely well.

You can get a new diesel with more options than you probably have, with the exceptions being airmatic as noted above, drive dynamic seats, distronic, and ventilated seats. Unless you have any of these, the Bluetec can be equipped better than your current car.

I have found that the 16" wheels give a very nice ride, but I would take off the no-seasons from the factory and fit good summer tires, either using the a/s for winter or buy a winter-specific set.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Either the CDI or Bluetec will have a better resale in the future too.

Is 4-matic a requirement for you?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
[QUOTE=Untertürkheim;3369607]The only downside of the diesel would be that Airmatic is not available, but otherwise I would go for a 2009 Bluetec unless you really need 4Matic.
QUOTE]

I cannot confirm for the US, but it appears the next W212 Bluetec may also be available in 4Matic.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Thanks for the replies. We had about two weeks this year of weather where the 4matic was an asset. I really think I could live without it with a good set of snow tires. What has generally been posted is what my thinking has been. On the other hand since my car still has one year of its original warranty and 2 additional years of extended the additional cost of buying say an 08 Bluetec would far outweigh any savings I would recover on fuel costs and the depreciation from this point would likely be higher on the 08. I'm open to other opinions though.