E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Strange popping spring noise from rear of car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2009 | 07:45 PM

E-270 Avantgarde
Strange popping spring noise from rear of car!

Not sure how I'll word this, but here goes...

I was driving to the shops near my house and as I entered the carpark to the right, there was a loud, and I can only describe this noise as a popping spring kind of noise. Basically, when it happened I thought my suspension had broken or something to that effect. It was a short and sharp sounding noise and it occured half way through the turn. The sound came from the rear passenger side of the car. I stopped pretty soon afterwards and walked around the car. The car sat as it always did with all tyre to arch gaps equal. I opened the boot of the car but there is nothing loose in there to make such a noise. I even checked to see if the tools were loose, but they were secure.

I've since raised the car and had a good look around and have found nothing out of the ordinary. I've compared it to the other side and everything seems fine in comparison.

The car drives fine. When I push down on the car, it behaves as it should in terms of dampening etc.

Anyone else have anything similar like this happen to them? The road I was driving on is smooth, so can't really link the noise to that.

It's just freaked me out a little. Any advice at all? Thanks in advance.