MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   OBD code reader !!!Where can i get it ? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/288558-obd-code-reader-where-can-i-get.html)

Subster 03-21-2009 02:40 PM

OBD code reader !!!Where can i get it ?

I was just wonder where can i buy "OBD code reader" for my E-class
and ML class , are they the same can i scan both of them ?
and how much it would cost ,

hayseed 03-21-2009 04:13 PM

pepboys , autozone

most autostores carry odb readers,, guessing you have newer models so you would need an odb2 reader,, get one that at a minimum you can reset the codes to 0000... you can pay anywhere from 80 to 400 bucks..

Subster 03-22-2009 09:07 AM

odb2 reader

Originally Posted by hayseed (Post 3422440)
most autostores carry odb readers,, guessing you have newer models so you would need an odb2 reader,, get one that at a minimum you can reset the codes to 0000... you can pay anywhere from 80 to 400 bucks..

I have 03 and 04 models i don't know is that newer or older .
Can use them in American cars too or they are only for Mercedes.
Thanks Dude !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clinton Horn 03-22-2009 11:18 AM

OBD readers

In my area (Atlanta). The Autozone stores will allow you to use a code reader in their parking lot. I got them to let me take one home in exchange for a credit card. They know there is a high probability that you will buy the parts from them anyway. I would not spend the money on one unless you are a gadget freak. The one I borrowed let me clear the code. Of course, if you don't remedy the problem, it will re-post as soon as the ECU detects the problem (again). I have NOT used and OBD on our Mercedes so this is general information. I know that the FSS will allow you to clear the red battery warning because I have done that, but other emission related codes may require the OBD to clear.

Roehl 03-23-2009 01:12 AM

Can the OBD2 Scanner able to scan all codes like airmatics, seats, transmission and among other modules? Or just engine codes?

Roehl 03-27-2009 01:41 PM

I think I got my answer. These OBDII scanner you get from local stores are just for the engine. It can not scan other modules in the car.

I just want to share this link I found. These are all the modules and sensors used by mercedes.
http://www.autoenginuity.com/Mercede...tems-List.html

Benz-O-Rama 03-28-2009 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Roehl (Post 3434548)
I think I got my answer. These OBDII scanner you get from local stores are just for the engine. It can not scan other modules in the car.

I just want to share this link I found. These are all the modules and sensors used by mercedes.
http://www.autoenginuity.com/Mercede...tems-List.html

Funny.

I just bought this one this week. Should be arriving in a few days. As a bonus, it comes with a little dyno program too! :y

vettdvr 03-28-2009 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama (Post 3435976)
Funny.

I just bought this one this week. Should be arriving in a few days. As a bonus, it comes with a little dyno program too! :y

:confused: SO which one did you buy?

Benz-O-Rama 03-28-2009 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 3435985)
:confused: SO which one did you buy?

The AutoEnginuity scantool, linked above:

http://www.autoenginuity.com/products.html

Is also comes with a program called SpeedTracer, which will calculate whp/wtq, 0-60, 60', 1/8th mile, 1/4 mile etc...all through your OBDII port, rather than an accelerometer.

Basically, I got it so I can see real time gains or losses of mods. Cheaper than going to a dyno every time and dropping $100.00

Plus I'm finding that there's a lot of dyno operators that have no idea how to dyno our cars. I've seen such a difference from dyno to dyno, and operator to operator. Using this tool, even if it's not 100% dead accurate on hp/tq, at least it'll be consistent.

Rick SL55 03-29-2009 09:23 PM

Those who bought the Auto Enginuity Scan Tool keep us posted.
I also want to buy an OBD for my SL55.

pelletman 12-28-2009 12:52 PM

Any additional thoughts on code readers? I'd like to pick one up that will diagnose all the systems like airmatic etc, not just the OBD II codes> I already have a couple cheap generic scanners.

Diesel Benz 12-28-2009 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by pelletman (Post 3872340)
Any additional thoughts on code readers? I'd like to pick one up that will diagnose all the systems like airmatic etc, not just the OBD II codes> I already have a couple cheap generic scanners.

A good Star copy is not that expensive, some discussion here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...-software.html
You just need to know where to buy.

jimbo1mcm 12-28-2009 02:04 PM

Auto-Enginuity

I purchased one of these with the MB module. Reads everything and you can make changes etc. Turns off CEL, etc. I recently used it after I had my transmission fluid changed. The indy didn't fill it all the way up because he wasn't sure of the fluid temp. When I got home, I hooked up my laptop and added the correct amount of fluid when the temp reached the exact readout I needed.

raymond g- 12-28-2009 03:05 PM

just recd my AE last week. have been idling in the driveway trying to learn how this all works. it hasn't wow-ed me yet, but so far, I've just been
reading various results and how to select sensors. can't wait to get into
the logging feature....so i wont have to drive and look, drive and look, etc. :)

xlr8tin 09-08-2011 01:02 PM

I'm bringing this thread back up...I was hoping for an update on this product..

I was also trying to figure out if this would work with my 2002 E55 (I'm assuming it would), and if I get a BMW down the road again, would I have to buy a different version or would this cover them both?

kuch326 10-02-2011 01:04 AM

bump on the AE reader. Any feedback?

GT-ER 10-02-2011 09:36 AM

I have an autoenginuity scanner with the mercedes package I'm willing to sell for $300 shipped and the cable is a few days old ( I broke the previous one but it was just replaced by AE ).

kuch326 10-02-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by GT-ER (Post 4856824)
I have an autoenginuity scanner with the mercedes package I'm willing to sell for $300 shipped and the cable is a few days old ( I broke the previous one but it was just replaced by AE ).

Can that unit read all the modules on a w211? Or is it the same as the cheap obd?

GT-ER 10-02-2011 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by kuch326 (Post 4856849)
Can that unit read all the modules on a w211? Or is it the same as the cheap obd?

Pretty much all of them...I can't think of any that it can't. It can also deactivate SBC and reactivate it for brake pad changed. I bought the extended mercedes package because of this.

raymond g- 10-03-2011 01:10 AM

just be clear that for the device to be current on all modules on the vehicle,
you must subscribe to AE enhanced version. the basic version will do basic
OBDII and possibly some code erasures. but to really be able to read the
modules, you will need to pay a little extra, about $250 total. then, to read
other MB models, staying current on the subscription is required.

GT-ER 10-03-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by raymond g- (Post 4857793)
just be clear that for the device to be current on all modules on the vehicle,
you must subscribe to AE enhanced version. the basic version will do basic
OBDII and possibly some code erasures. but to really be able to read the
modules, you will need to pay a little extra, about $250 total. then, to read
other MB models, staying current on the subscription is required.

This is what I have. I have the basic scanner ( $250 ) plus the mercedes expansion ( $230 ).

kuch326 10-03-2011 05:06 PM

Is that Mercedes expansion pack a yearly subscription or a unlimited one time subscription Only?

GT-ER 10-04-2011 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by kuch326 (Post 4858708)
Is that Mercedes expansion pack a yearly subscription or a unlimited one time subscription Only?

It's unlimited, you only pay for updates on a yearly basis ( if you even care to update ). But it won't stop working just because you don't pay.

BreezyMB 11-23-2014 01:49 AM

OBD scan dygnosis for 1999 W210

Hi all, I really couldn't find out which one is the right type of (OBD, OBD-I , OBD-II)ON BOARD SCANNING diagnosis unit for my
1999 Diesel Mercedes Benz E320 CDI ?
Thanks

raymond g- 11-23-2014 02:17 AM

if you have USA marketed model, ODB-II