E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 Wiper missing part of the windshield - floating over the rain on windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 Wiper missing part of the windshield - floating over the rain on windshield

I searched and searched for this issue, but can't find it, so my apologies if this is a repost.

About 2 weeks ago, my old wiper (driver-side) began missing the lower part of the windshield when in use. The wiper blade "floats" over a section about 8" wide and about 6-8" up the windshield from the bottom. The section it is missing is right where the wiper arm meets the blade. If I could push it down right there, it would wipe normally.

It seems as if there is not enough tension on the wiper arm to push it down in the center where the arm meets the blade.

Is there any way to adjust the wiper arm to create more downward pressure between the wiper arm and blade?

Also, I just replaced the older wiper with a new one from my dealership and the issue is the same, so it shouldn't be the blade. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 MB E-500 & 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
I see what you're saying. Very interesting. I've never seen an issue like this before on any other cars. Why don't you just replace the wiper arm? I'm not sure if the springs on the arm are adjustable. Take out the arm and check it thoroughly for anything loose.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
It would be surprising to me if "not enough tension" was the problem. I think these cars have a lot of tesion to survive using the wipers on the autobahn at high speed. And I think that high tension is the cause of so many noisy wiper systems.

Maybe you do have a tension issue. But my guess is that you just need to replace the wipers.