E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

FORUM MEMBERS OPINION ON E320 BLUETEC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
FORUM MEMBERS OPINION ON E320 BLUETEC

There is a 2008 E320 Bluetec that I have my eye on and was wondering what you opinion was of this model in general.

This particular one has 1,800 miles on it, has the P2 package, plus wood/leather steering wheel, navigation, electric trunk and keyless go among other things. Seems to be fully loaded and is in my favorite color -- black.

They are asking $42,900. I realize mileage-wise it is practically a new car, but it is now almost 2 years old with the restyled 2010s just around the corner.

I have had Mercedes diesels before, albiet it 20 years ago. I have a '05 C230 now that is just about out of warranty and thinking about making a change.

Thanks for any input. Much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 180 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
They are wonderful cars and it's a supurb engine and the car will be a rocketship compared to previous diesels you've experienced. Performance is VERY comparable to the E350 gasoline versions.

That said, it's the most technically sophisticated engine sold in the USA, featuring some breathtakingly expensive components that you'll hope will prove reliable. Contemplating DIY maintenance on these cars is IMHO a foolish notion. In fact, contemplating maintenance by other than Mercedes dealers or recently-Mercedes-trained independent mechancis is IMHO a foolish notion. (And, you'd BETTER contemplate maintenance.)

Never has the gap between Mercedes and Chevies/Fords been wider, and these cars aren't your father's nothin'.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-320 Bluetec
I love my 2007 and that's a great price, that was a $63K+ MSRP and $20K off of that puts it in the realm of a screaming deal. I've had mine for 2 years tomorrow, bought it with 2K on the clock and now have 32K, and have loved driving it. The Bluetec is terrific on the highway, bladder busting range, and all the power you would ever need.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Jump on it; you cannot go wrong with it. I have the same car bought new and simply love it. Just ignore the fact it is two years old; its brand new with minimum miles. I would not buy the 2010 w212 version because of its looks. This will be the last original looking w211 v6 Bluetec.
Once you get it and run it to 5000 miles, you should install the simply plug in KD-Box from Kleeman; worth spending 800bucks. You will then have a real super rocketship, quiet power with more HP and phenominal torque. Black is a great color; look at my photo album.

Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
There is a 2008 E320 Bluetec that I have my eye on and was wondering what you opinion was of this model in general.

This particular one has 1,800 miles on it, has the P2 package, plus wood/leather steering wheel, navigation, electric trunk and keyless go among other things. Seems to be fully loaded and is in my favorite color -- black.

They are asking $42,900. I realize mileage-wise it is practically a new car, but it is now almost 2 years old with the restyled 2010s just around the corner.

I have had Mercedes diesels before, albiet it 20 years ago. I have a '05 C230 now that is just about out of warranty and thinking about making a change.

Thanks for any input. Much appreciated.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
As always, this forum comes through. As far as the maintenance is concerned, that will strictly be done by the local MB dealer. My expertise ends with anything that can't be fixed with a straight-line screwdirver and a finger nail file, haha. Thanks again for all your input -- looking forward to finalizing the deal on this car.

Someone mentioned performance on previous diesels, and I just wanted to say, you haen't lived until you've owned a 190D non-turbo 2.5. Zero to sixty in 2-3 days. Also had a 300D non-turbo, about the same. And a 300SD which did have a turbo that would kick in about the time you were half way through an intersection.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
Someone mentioned performance on previous diesels, and I just wanted to say, you haen't lived until you've owned a 190D non-turbo 2.5. Zero to sixty in 2-3 days.
As far as performance is concerned, the E320 Bluetec has faster acceleration on the highway than its E350 cousin. To experience 400 lbs/ft of torque is really fun as you blast past slower vehicles.

I have owned a good number of MB and BMW cars over the past 25 years; none of them can compare with the outstanding comfort, performance and fuel economy offered by the Bluetec.

My first diesel was a 190D Turbo; it only took 1/2 day to get to 60 mph !!
You will not be disappointed in the amazing Bluetec ! Compared to the ride and performance of a C230, in a Bluetec, you will feel like you have landed in heaven !

As far as the W212 is concerned, it will have similar performance, cost way more and it will come with the added complexity of the adBlue system, which will mean no spare tire and dreadful Run Flat tires as standard.

Then of course there is a huge difference in styling between the W212 and the W211. I happen to really like the current car with its wonderful proportions, its Italianesque flowing lines and soft curves, both inside and out. In my view, the W211 will remain one of the best looking mid-size sedans ever conceived. The W212 may offer superior dynamics and more electronic gizmos, but styling wise, I do not believe that it will come close to equaling the W211.

Last edited by DerekACS; 04-03-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Though the following article was cloned off another model Benz ad, it also applies to a slighted modded Bluetec. The Bluetec will get you in a whole heap of trouble real quick. Oh sure, you can blast up the left lane and lesser, mere automobiles will scatter to the right. And when you come up on the dolt ahead who refuses, or is too dumb, to move, you can sneak up behind him, tip in a little throttle, then swing back left and around him. Look in the mirror and you're a thousand yards ahead of him. He's no longer even an inconvenience.

If you to do this type of driving, you're suddenly doing a buck-thirty) in a 65 zone. Shame about the speed restricter. Yikes! I have not had a brush with NJ State Troopers yet else they may want to have a word with me.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question Speed Restrictor

Originally Posted by pinebaron
Though the following article was cloned off another model Benz ad, it also applies to a slighted modded Bluetec. The Bluetec will get you in a whole heap of trouble real quick. Oh sure, you can blast up the left lane and lesser, mere automobiles will scatter to the right. And when you come up on the dolt ahead who refuses, or is too dumb, to move, you can sneak up behind him, tip in a little throttle, then swing back left and around him. Look in the mirror and you're a thousand yards ahead of him.
He's no longer even an inconvenience.

If you to do this type of driving, you're suddenly doing a buck-thirty) in a 65 zone.
Shame about the speed restricter.
Yikes! I have not had a brush with NJ State Troopers yet else they may want to have a word with me.

"Shame on the speed restricter." Why

Unless you have changed tires, you have 'H' rated tires do you not?

It should not be any real problem to have the speed restrictor removed,
but how much faster could you go with your present overall gearing?
What are you tacking now at 130 mph? What will it rev to in any lower gears?

Catch my drift?

Old 04-04-2009, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Yep, still on OEM Tires; an upgrade is required if I go any faster or continue with this crazy driving. This car has spare potential. At 130mph it tachs at less than 3500rpm. The 7 speed gearbox has a 1:.73 ratio in 7th and a 2.65 ratio in the drive axle. Using same diameter tires (25" per Tirerack) the engine would tach at a little over 4000rpm at 155mph, assuming it can get there. Redline is at 4600rpm. There are strong possibilities. If someone else has done it, they are not saying it here.

I realize it is not difficult to disable the speed limiter. The ECU will need to be reprogrammed; I may consider it but not before upgrading brakes to E63 or the BBK from Brembo or similar, together with some Z rated tires.

Below are the transmission gear ratios of the 7-speed:

1st: 4.38
2nd: 2.86
3rd: 1.92
4th: 1.37
5th: 1
6th: .82
7th: .73

Final Axle: 2.65

OEM rims are only 23lbs and tires are 25lbs. An increase in rotating mass at the wheels will more surely have an impact on acceleration and perhaps top speed too. I am so reluctant to installing fancy wheels though it is so tempting to install something deep dish. I have failed to locate or decide on a lightweight wheel/tire combo.

Another couple of years and OEM warranty will expire; it will then be time to do some real mods to the car.

Originally Posted by Green E-300 DT

"Shame on the speed restricter." Why

Unless you have changed tires, you have 'H' rated tires do you not?

It should not be any real problem to have the speed restrictor removed,
but how much faster could you go with your present overall gearing?
What are you tacking now at 130 mph? What will it rev to in any lower gears?

Catch my drift?

Old 04-04-2009, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Sounds like a great deal on a great car. I would definitely go for it. Great option list.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Yep, still on OEM Tires; an upgrade is required if I go any faster or continue with this crazy driving. I have failed to locate or decide on a lightweight wheel/tire combo.
For the E320 Bluetec, MB Canada recommends an upgrade to 17" wheels/tires, but not to 18" . With 18s, the ride would likely suffer.

I went with the 17" 5 twin spoke alloys with 245/45 x 17R 99V Conti ProContacts. According to Tirerack, these tires weigh only 22 lbs.; I'm not sure about the weight of the alloy wheels. If you are interested in seeing how these wheels/tires look on my car, send me a PM and I will send you a photo. With a 20 mm wider tread than the OEM 16" tires, the 17" Contis definitely improve the car's traction for acceleration and braking.

These tires are decent 3 season performers, but should not be considered as adequate for severe winter conditions.

Last edited by DerekACS; 04-04-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Is there not a bump stop rubber insert required when using larger rims to reduce suspension movement? I am sure it is mentioned in a thread here while there is no mention at Tirerack. It is also possible the Canadian version has the rubber insert pre-installed.

Next time you remove a wheel for any reason, you could weigh the wheel/tire combo to calculate wheel weight.
I think I will have custom wheels made; would cost a bit but be worth it.

By the way, further investigation revealed the Bluetec is capable of at least 153mph.

Originally Posted by DerekACS
For the E320 Bluetec, MB Canada recommends an upgrade to 17" wheels/tires, but not to 18" . With 18s, the ride would likely suffer.

I went with the 17" 5 twin spoke alloys with 245/45 x 17R 99V Conti ProContacts. According to Tirerack, these tires weigh only 22 lbs.; I'm not sure about the weight of the alloy wheels. If you are interested in seeing how these wheels/tires look on my car, send me a PM and I will send you a photo. With a 20 mm wider tread than the OEM 16" tires, the 17" Contis definitely improve the car's traction for acceleration and braking.

These tires are decent 3 season performers, but should not be considered as adequate for severe winter conditions.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Arrow Top End for the Diesels

By the way, further investigation revealed the Bluetec is capable of at least 153mph.

A few years ago (remember?) MBZ ran three diesels for 100K miles flat out on a test track in Texas.

See: http://www.gizmag.com/go/4003/

Since the average speed for the entire month was up around 140 mph, taking time for refueling,
driver changes and periodic maintenance, (tire changes, oil and filter changes, etc.) wouldn't
the steady speed have to be somewhat higher than the mentioned averages of 140 mph?

Last edited by Green E-300 DT; 04-05-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added URL
Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS430
Yep, still on OEM Tires; an upgrade is required if I go any faster or continue with this crazy driving. This car has spare potential. At 130mph it tachs at less than 3500rpm. The 7 speed gearbox has a 1:.73 ratio in 7th and a 2.65 ratio in the drive axle. Using same diameter tires (25" per Tirerack) the engine would tach at a little over 4000rpm at 155mph, assuming it can get there. Redline is at 4600rpm. There are strong possibilities. If someone else has done it, they are not saying it here.

I realize it is not difficult to disable the speed limiter. The ECU will need to be reprogrammed; I may consider it but not before upgrading brakes to E63 or the BBK from Brembo or similar, together with some Z rated tires.

Below are the transmission gear ratios of the 7-speed:

1st: 4.38
2nd: 2.86
3rd: 1.92
4th: 1.37
5th: 1
6th: .82
7th: .73

Final Axle: 2.65

OEM rims are only 23lbs and tires are 25lbs. An increase in rotating mass at the wheels will more surely have an impact on acceleration and perhaps top speed too. I am so reluctant to installing fancy wheels though it is so tempting to install something deep dish. I have failed to locate or decide on a lightweight wheel/tire combo.

Another couple of years and OEM warranty will expire; it will then be time to do some real mods to the car.
Great post, just for fun I went researching light tires that offer better than all season performance for the Bluetec/CDI sizing. ContiExtremeContacts are Ultra High Performance All Seasons and they weigh 22lbs! 3lbs less than the stock Michelins. They are also ranked #3 on Tireracks list of best ultra high performance all season tires. I already saw some 275s that have 25lbs and are made for 18 inch wheels. With the right shopping and setup you can either save weight or retain the oem tire weight with a lighter wheel depending on what you get. Wouldn't that mean you guys can have your cake and eat it too?