E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Tire pres. monitor system inoperative?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550, ML550
Tire pres. monitor system inoperative?

i just had tpms retrofitted to my e550 by local independent shop but when i go to temp menu then press up-arrow once, I get message (tire pres.monitor system inoperative) but then when i press up-arrow again, i see all 4 tire pressure values displayed correct. how can this be resolved?thanks in advance for your help
Old 04-11-2009, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MobileStriker
i just had tpms retrofitted to my e550 by local independent shop but when i go to temp menu then press up-arrow once, I get message (tire pres.monitor system inoperative) but then when i press up-arrow again, i see all 4 tire pressure values displayed correct. how can this be resolved?thanks in advance for your help
The "low cost" TPMS needs to be disabled in SDS. It is still turned on. The shop should have done that.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550, ML550
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
The "low cost" TPMS needs to be disabled in SDS. It is still turned on. The shop should have done that.
thank you, i will go back on monday to talk to them btw what is low-cost and high-cost tpms?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
thank you, i will go back on monday to talk to them btw what is low-cost and high-cost tpms?
The car has speed sensors designed to monitor the speed at each wheel. This is used in the ABS and ESP systems. It can also determine if a tire has lost pressure due to the speed at which it rotates relative to the other wheels will change. There are no additional sensors required for this version and it can be turned on in SDS on most W211s but does not give an actually pressure reading - only if a tire is low - the system has no idea how low the tire is, however.

The version you have needs antennas located at each corner and the transmitters mounted in each wheel to work - so it was an option as it needs additional hardware. The advantage of this system is you can monitor the actual tire pressure.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
i just had tpms retrofitted to my e550 by local independent shop...
Which system did you get?
Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550 Sports
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
The car has speed sensors designed to monitor the speed at each wheel. This is used in the ABS and ESP systems. It can also determine if a tire has lost pressure due to the speed at which it rotates relative to the other wheels will change. There are no additional sensors required for this version and it can be turned on in SDS on most W211s but does not give an actually pressure reading - only if a tire is low - the system has no idea how low the tire is, however.

The version you have needs antennas located at each corner and the transmitters mounted in each wheel to work - so it was an option as it needs additional hardware. The advantage of this system is you can monitor the actual tire pressure.
Polar Bear you are always the knowledgeable one! Shouldn't all W211 have the low cost monitor system? Because recently I have a nail in one of the tires and you can see the tire looks pretty low on pressure, however nothing ever show up on the dash to tell me my tire pressure was low. It that normal?

Where do you buy one of those kit to retrofit on your car? and how much does cost to retrofit one of those in your car?