rattling when stepping on the gas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
rattling when stepping on the gas?

a few things....

1) i went to the dealer a few weeks ago and asked about the high pitched sound that i was getting when stepping on the brakes. guy said that it's normal and it does that when the brakes are pretty new. he said that it should go away pretty soon and it's some type of sound that comes from rubbing in the brakes.

2) i think it did this before but it seems more noticable now. when i step on the gas pretty hard (like to accelerate quickly), i get a rattling type of sound from the car. when i ease up on the brakes, the sound usually goes away. if i step on the gas hard again, the rattling comes back.

anyone know if this is normal or what this sound is?

Rock.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:31 PM

2003 E320
Re: rattling when stepping on the gas?

Originally posted by Rock72
a few things....

1) i went to the dealer a few weeks ago and asked about the high pitched sound that i was getting when stepping on the brakes. guy said that it's normal and it does that when the brakes are pretty new. he said that it should go away pretty soon and it's some type of sound that comes from rubbing in the brakes.

Maybe. This happens if you install cheap brake pads on old cars. Maybe it's just the break-in period.

2) i think it did this before but it seems more noticable now. when i step on the gas pretty hard (like to accelerate quickly), i get a rattling type of sound from the car. when i ease up on the brakes, the sound usually goes away. if i step on the gas hard again, the rattling comes back.
Does "hard" mean 3000-4000 RPM? (hopefully the break-in period is over then!). I don't believe there is supposed to be any rattling. If break-in is indeed over for your car, try to rev engine while parked. This way you'll know if this is engine or transmission. In any case, rattle should be fixed.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:20 PM

2003 E320
rattling

yes, i am past break in (currently at around 1700 miles). and yes, it is when i hit around 3000-3500 RPM.

i think it only happens when i'm moving. but i'll check tonight when i am stationary.

i seem to recall my old bmw doing this...like it's a sound from a modified intake or something...either way it didn't alarm me that much but my wife brought it up and has been bugging me to get it checked out.

Rock.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:41 PM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
May be the motor mount problem

Many of us have talked about our troubles with the motor mounts and I believe the symptoms you describe are related to this.

Once I had them replaced, the 'dieseling' sound heard during moderate acceleration totally disappeared.

The rough idle went away as well. Now when at idle or parked, there is NO sensation of engine torque roll at all.

Brake squeal is another issue. If it continues, you might have them reseat the brake pads using additional pad grease, or swap them for new pads with liberal, but appropriate, grease application.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:31 PM

2003 E500
rattling

Can you please let me know if you ever solved the problems with the rattling and the vibrations, I have the same problems.